Maymont ParkCurrently Closed
- Address: 1700 Hampton St, Richmond, VA 23220, United States
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-8043587166
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:30 Hrs
- Tags: Park, Landmark, Estate, Family And Kids, Mansion
Maymont Park - Review
The Maymont Estate is a historic landmark in Richmond. Prior to it being declared a public park, it was a 100 acre mansion belonging to James and Sallie Dooley. In 1925, the Maymont estate was gifted to the government, turned into a public park and is now the most visited attraction in Richmond. Apart from the grand 33 room house, the property also sports a Japanese Garden, wildlife exhibits, Children’s Farm and a Nature Visitor Centre to name a few. The best way to see a majority of the estate would be to take the hop on hop off tram to different points in the park and then opt for a guided tour of the mansion.
Maymont Park Ticket Prices
- While entry to the grounds is free, tram rides and carriage rides cost USD 3 and 5 respectively.
- Mansion- USD 5 per person suggested donation; Children’s Farm Bar- USD 4 per person suggested donation.
- Nature and Visitor Centre Exhibits Youth & Adults (13-59) USD 3 and Seniors (60+) and Children (4-12) USD 2.
- Free for Maymont members and kids under 4 years old.
Maymont Park Hours
- Guided tours on the hour and half-hour, last tour begins at 4:30 pm
- Mansion- Tuesday to Sunday 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm; Children’s Farm Barn- Tuesday to Sunday 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm; Nature and Visitor Centre Exhibits- Tuesday to Sunday 10:00 am to 5:00 pm (last entry at 4:45 pm); Gardens- Hampton Street and Spottswood Road entrances open until 7:00 pm from mid-March through October, weather permitting.
Restaurants Near Maymont Park
- Selba (American and International cuisines)
- Acacia Midtown (American food served)
- O'Toole's (American and Irish food served)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Richmond before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Richmond and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Maymont Park
70.5% of people who visit Richmond include Maymont Park in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
87.72% of people start their Maymont Park visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
2 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 2 Hrs 30 Minutes to see Maymont Park
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Maymont Park
Maymont Park Trips
Maymont Park, Richmond Reviews
Love this place!!! It's great for a family outing, they even have a small area where they keep goats a huge pig and sheep. The place is huge and it even has an enclosure where they keep a bear. It's a great place to go for some exercise or just walk around with your significant other. There's also a mansion in the property that you can tour for a small fee. Just remember to wear comfortable shoes if you plan on exploring Maymont and everything it had to offer.
Touring the grounds at Maymont is self-guided, although I believe you can also schedule golf cart guided tours. My family and I chose to walk it. There are some hills and stairs so you should be in adequate condition to navigate the area. The gardens are extraordinary. A great place for photography; in fact there was a bridal party getting their photographs taken in the Japanese Garden during our tour. You should bring a backpack or bag with water, hats, and sunscreen in the summer. My family packed a lunch and had a fun picnic after touring the mansion.
This place was beautiful I love walking the trails. The kids loved looking at the animals in the zoo like atmosphere. It's not like going from cage to cage you almost didn't see the zoo as there is Shrubbery and trees that kind of hide the animals. there was an ice cream vendor there overall it was comfortable fun relaxing and a great place just to let the kids run wild and get tired
We loved the animals, the mansion, waterfall, all the little neat secret pathways in and out to the mansion winding steps and waterfall top. The Japanese garden smelled so good! All the little water spouts and wagons. The old barns. The pond with the ducks and stepping stones and gazebo. The hills .. there has to be a better way around those hills. Gosh it was hot but amazingly beautiful. Next time we wanna go in the fall with the color change and see all the changes. Just can't wait!
Amazing place for couples and family's. Beautiful grounds and an amazing mansion you can tour. Several gardens and a waterfall. They have a few animals on Exhibit including bears,eagles and more. Recommend comfortable walking shoes as it is 100 acres of beauty. Excellent area near entrance for a picnic on a blanket.