Virginia State CapitolCurrently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: 1000 Bank Street, Richmond, VA 23219-3673, United States
- Timings: 08:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-8046981788
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Statue, Family And Kids, Architecture , Heritage Building
Not many know this, but the Virginia State Capitol is the second oldest functioning capitol in the United States. Designed 1785 by Thomas Jefferson, he based the structure of the capitol on his inspiration, a Roman temple Maison Carree. The architecture of the capitol is indeed a thing of beauty and worth ogling at. The busts of the seven Virginia born presidents grace the hall along with a life like statue of George Washington, probably the only one scaled to size in all of the United States. Open to the public, this symbol of governance should certainly make it on your itinerary; the best way to see the capitol is through a guided tour that takes place every hour.
- The entry is free.
- On Sundays, the Capitol is open from 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm.
- Guided tours take place every hour, the last one departing at 4:00 pm.
- You can also visit between 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm.
- Tobacco Company Restaurant and Club (American food served)
- Bistro Bobette
- Sam Miller's Restaurant (Italian, seafood and steaks recommended)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Richmond before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Richmond and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Richmond include Virginia State Capitol in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
49.37% of people start their Virginia State Capitol visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Virginia State Capitol
93.55% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Virginia State Capitol