How to Reach Riga
- By Air: Riga being the capital of Latvia has a very busy international airport, catering to almost all the major airline carriers. You could either avail of a taxi or a bus service to get to town from the airport.
- By Bus: Bus services from all over Europe provide buses to and from Riga. If you’re coming from a neighbouring country or city, the bus is the best way to travel, especially if you’re on a budget.
- By Train: Latvian Railways provides many a trains that arrive at Riga from either elsewhere in Latvia or from neighbouring countries. You could book the train tickets online but you need to collect the actual ticket from the station.
- There’s a daily ferry service that runs between Stockholm and Riga.
- By Taxi: Like most European cities, vehicles aren’t allowed in the old town area except taxis.
- On Foot: The best way to see Riga is on foot. Be warned though; during the rains, streets are known to experience ankle length flooding.
- By Tram/Bus: Riga has a good system of public system ranging from trams, buses and minibuses. If you’re planning to use the public transport frequently, it’s economical to buy day passes.
- By Train: If you’re planning to see the nearby towns around Riga, taking the train is your best bet.
- By Bicycle: A popular way to see Riga is on bicycle; there are several self service stands that are placed all over the city. Alternatively, you could also ask the hotel you’re staying at if they have a bicycle rental plan.
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Riga. The most preferred mode of transport in Riga is Car.
Average distance: 10.76 km Average time: 32.9 min
Car 41.67%Driving 29.63 min Walking 1.73 min Overall average time for 14.76 kms 31.35 min
Walking 15.63%Walking 31.33 min Bike 0.47 min Driving 0.47 min Bus 0.33 min Waiting 0.2 min Overall average time for 3.53 kms 32.8 min
Train/Metro 4.17%Train 28 min Walking 16.25 min Waiting 5 min Overall average time for 25 kms 49.25 min
Bus/Trolleybus 18.75%Bus 27.67 min Walking 7.67 min Waiting 4.44 min Overall average time for 8.82 kms 39.78 min
Bike 11.46%Bike 19.45 min Other 2.45 min Walking 2.18 min Overall average time for 5.91 kms 24.09 min
Tram/Streetcar 2.08%Tram 17.5 min Walking 3.5 min Waiting 2 min Overall average time for 4 kms 23 min