How to Reach Riga - The Easiest Way to Reach Riga
- By Air: Riga being the capital of Latvia has a very busy international airport, catering to almost all the major airline carriers. You could either avail of a taxi or a bus service to get to town from the airport.
- By Bus: Bus services from all over Europe provide buses to and from Riga. If you’re coming from a neighbouring country or city, the bus is the best way to travel, especially if you’re on a budget.
- By Train: Latvian Railways provides many a trains that arrive at Riga from either elsewhere in Latvia or from neighbouring countries. You could book the train tickets online but you need to collect the actual ticket from the station.
- There’s a daily ferry service that runs between Stockholm and Riga.
- By Taxi: Like most European cities, vehicles aren’t allowed in the old town area except taxis.
- On Foot: The best way to see Riga is on foot. Be warned though; during the rains, streets are known to experience ankle length flooding.
- By Tram/Bus: Riga has a good system of public system ranging from trams, buses and minibuses. If you’re planning to use the public transport frequently, it’s economical to buy day passes.
- By Train: If you’re planning to see the nearby towns around Riga, taking the train is your best bet.
- By Bicycle: A popular way to see Riga is on bicycle; there are several self service stands that are placed all over the city. Alternatively, you could also ask the hotel you’re staying at if they have a bicycle rental plan.
Are you looking for a Riga travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Modes of Transportation in Riga
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Riga. The most preferred mode of transport in Riga is Car.
Average distance: 9.44 km Average time: 35.27 min
Car 44%Driving 28.05 min Walking 0.95 min Overall average time for 11.69 kms 29 min
Bus/Trolleybus 18%Bus 27.33 min Walking 7.33 min Waiting 4.44 min Overall average time for 9.22 kms 39.11 min
Train/Metro 4%Train 11 min Waiting 2.5 min Walking 2.5 min Overall average time for 10 kms 16 min
Walking 18%Walking 53.78 min Driving 6.44 min Overall average time for 6.88 kms 60.22 min
Bike 8%Bike 18.5 min Walking 0.5 min Other 0.25 min Overall average time for 5.48 kms 19.25 min
Tram/Streetcar 2%Tram 20 min Walking 5 min Waiting 3 min Overall average time for 5 kms 28 min
How to Reach Riga from Nearby Cities
|Jelgava to Riga||51.64 km||51 mins|
|Kaunas to Riga||208.22 km||3 hours 28 mins|
|Keila to Riga||242.81 km||4 hours 2 mins|
|Vilnius to Riga||262.04 km||4 hours 22 mins|
|Tallinn to Riga||262.96 km||4 hours 22 mins|
|Gulbene to Riga||295.12 km||4 hours 55 mins|
|Tartu to Riga||325.19 km||5 hours 25 mins|
|Helsinki to Riga||340.09 km||5 hours 40 mins|