PetropolisCurrently Open [Closes at 06:00 pm]
- Address: 60km north of Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Time Required: 08:00 Hrs
- Tags: Ancient Ruin, Historical Site, Palace, Neighborhoods
Located about 70km from the city centre of Rio de Janeiro is Petropolis, also known as the Imperial City. The journey here takes about an hour and it is an ideal place for a day trip away from the fast pace of Rio city life. The history of the city is interesting as it was discovered and transformed into its current avatar by Emperor Pedro I who feel in love with the area on his visit in 1822. He wanted to build a palace here however that dream was only realised by Pedro II in 1843. There are several attractions here that are worth visiting.
- The Imperial Museum: The erstwhile summer residence which now houses some of the most important objects in Brazilian history.
- Museu Casa de Santos Dumont: A historical house that once belonged to The Brazilian Father of Aviation and inventor of the wristwatch, Alberto Santos Dumont.
- Crystal Palace: A greenhouse built for Princess Isabel in France and brought to Brazil in 1884.
Other noteworthy attractions include the Quitandinha Palace, Praca 14-Bis and São Pedro de Alcântara Cathedral. Several tour operators organise day trips to Petropolis that cover the major attractions. If you have a day to spare in your trip, Pertopolis is a must visit.
Petropolis Travel Tips
- Most attractions are located in the heart of the city and can be easily covered on foot.
- The best way to visit the city is with a tour group.
- The local bus service is quite efficient and easy to use.
How to Reach Petropolis
- UNICA-FACIL has comfortable buses to Petropolis leaving from Terminal Rodoviário Novo Rio, in Rio de Janeiro.
- Majorica Churrascaria
- Bistro Petit Palais
- Las Delicias
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Rio De Janeiro before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Rio De Janeiro and book an accommodation of your choice.
7.75% of people who visit Rio De Janeiro include Petropolis in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
87.18% of people start their Petropolis visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 8 Hrs to see Petropolis
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Petropolis