Turkey is more than just Istanbul. There are many places in Turkey which are no less than hidden gems and need to be explored to the fullest. One such incredible place is Rize. Rize is the capital of the Rize province and is located in the Black Sea Region of Turkey.
The most prominent attractions in Rize are Ataturk House & Ethnography Museum, Firtina Deresi, Ziraat - Botanik Cay Bahcesi, Rize Kalesi and Rize Museum. The best time to visit Rize is in summer from the months starting from April to August. The museums, tea gardens and natural attractions, Rize has it all. This is the time when the weather is ideal to indulge in some interesting outdoor activities. Many festivals and events are organised throughout the year and visiting Rize during this period can be a good idea.
Rize is famous all over the world for its tea. Moreover, it is also a major contributor to the tea industry in Turkey. There are many tea gardens in Rize and that just enhances the overall beauty of this city. When in Rize, soothing your eyes with mesmerising visuals and sipping some hot piping Turkish tea, together can be a good idea.
Essential travel information and Rize tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC+02:00
- Currency: The Turkish Lira(TRY)
- Electricity and Internet: 220 volts, 50 Hz with European style plug points. As far as internet is concerned, it is in available in major public places, hotels, cafes and restaurants.
- Language: The native language in Rize is Turkish and people there also know English.
- Tipping: When in Turkey, it is advisable to tip about 5-10 percent of the total bill amount in restaurants, cafes and hotels.
- Ambulance: 112
- Police: 155
- Coast Guard: 158
- Fire: 110
- Forest Fire: 177
- Yellow Pages: 11818 or 11811 or 11880
- Tourism Info: 170
- Dress modestly while entering the mosques in Rize. Women, especially have to wear headscarf before entering the mosque.
- Be careful of pick pockets. Keep your valuables safe.
- Respect the Turkish flag when in the city.