Rochester, situated on the southern shores of Lake Ontario is the Rochester is the third-largest metropolitan area in state of New York. Rochester is blessed with a particularly scenic geography thanks to the Genesee Valley and the city’s proximity to Lake Ontario, one of five, fresh-water Great Lakes. Rochester is known as both “Flour City” due to its thriving mill industry and the “Flower City” thanks to its prominent seed trade. Some of the most famous exports of the city of Rochester would be Xerox and Kodak. Xerox was founded in the year 1906 as the “Haloid Photographic Company” and Kodak was launched by George Eastman in 1892. Almost 45% of the people living in Rochester are White Americans while rest of the population includes African-Americans and Asians.
Rochester may not be very famous as a tourist attraction but if you look at the list of the attractions and activities, you will realize that Rochester is a complete family destination. An all year-round destination, the city will leave you spoilt for choices. You can visit the world’s oldest photography museum, watch a movie for $1, go for a nature trails exploring the beautiful fall colours, go cross country skiing, enjoy a safari in a horse driven carriage or go wine tasting in the country. Rochester serves as a gateway to the Finger Lakes, a must-see destination when visiting the state of New York.
Essential travel information and Rochester tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Eastern Time Zone (UTC -5) Summer (DST: UTC -4)
- Currency: USD (United State Dollar)
- Electricity: US uses 110 Volts, 60 Hz alternating current as power. Plug sockets have ungrounded 2 pin connections (Type A) and grounded 3 pin connections (Type B)
- Languages: Majority of the people in United States speak English.
- Internet: 3G, 4G and Wi-Fi connections are available in almost every hotel in the city. The city also has public Wi-Fi in some areas.
- Security: Dial 911 for police and medical emergency.
- Tipping: Tipping is expected in the restaurants. Tip is generally calculated by doubling the tax amount.
Rochester Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Rochester. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Rochester trip planner.