Are you looking for what to do in Rochester?
THINGS TO DO AND SEE
Art, theatre, music, photography, history, nature and play, Rochester has something to offer to every kind of a traveller. The city of Rochester is home to many cultural institutions. Many Arts community help visitors encourage their creativity by opening their doors for open houses and behind the scenes looks at galleries and studios. Museums, galleries, theatres and attractions offer special events and experiences that delight visitors from all over the world. Rochester also has several parks where one can witness definite colours describing the changing seasons. Rochester has acquired several nicknames like “The World's Image Centre", "The Flour City" and "The Flower City". Visitors can choose to hike, bike, paddle or ski depending on which time of the year they visit Rochester.
- Things to do in Rochester for free: Located just 25 kilometres from the city, Mendon Ponds Park is a country park where one can go to enjoy nature trails, water activities, and even go sledding during winter. This park is also locally famous for its birdwatching activities. Get the feel of public art in and around Rochester by visiting the Rochester Public Art, where you will see artists design and install an artwork to better the aesthetic goals of the city. Proceed to the Legal Wall, where you can witness an impressive display of very creative and energetic graffiti painted on the buildings. Legal Wall is one of Rochester's unique cultural treasures. Explore the Downtown Rochester, which is the hub of all activities with self-guided walking tours.
- Things to do in Rochester on budget: One of those “must see” things in Rochester, George Eastman Museum, the world's oldest museum which is dedicated to photography and having one of the world's oldest film archives is located at 10 mins drive from the central business district of Rochester. Visit the Dollar Theatre, where one can watch a film for just $1 every Tuesday is a great way to catch films that you have missed. Go Ice Skating at the Ritter Ice Arena at RIT where you can rent skates for as low as $3. Right down the street from Rochester’s public market, is the Black Button Distillery where you can see how they craft their spirits and go tasting. Located about 50 kilometres from the city are the Sonnenberg Gardens & Mansion where one can stroll through its gardens full of flowers, have a picnic under the majestic trees and visit the magnificent Sonnenberg mansion.
- Things to do in Rochester at night: After a long, tiring day, the best thing you can do is keep it simple. Head out to Schooners Riverside Pub, a laid-back restaurant to sip on some cocktails and groove to live music by local bands. Depending on the season, head out to Frontier Field or the Blue Cross Arena to root for one of Rochester’s sports teams. Before catching on the game, head out for a beer at the Genesee Brew Co. and some amazing finger food to go with it. The atmosphere at the Old Toad is always cosy and jolly, where you can enjoy the trivia quiz over some beer and a plate of pub style comfort food.
- Romantic things to do in Rochester: Head out to the beach avenue road to watch the sun set over the Charlotte beach. While there, visit Abbotts Frozen Custard where the soothing sound of the waves and the sweet sugar rush of the custard will surely make you fall in love with your partner again. Ride to Casa Larga Vineyards in Fairport for a tasting of the best wines that the Finger Lakes region. Go for the chocolate and wine pair when visiting the vineyards. Go on a romantic stroll down the splendid East Ave, and head out to the Dryden and the Little Theatre where you can experience a thought provoking movie experience. Head out for a French meal at Roux, refined and cultured, yet warm and romantic, this restaurant has an exquisite selection of cocktails, wines, and dining.
- Things to do in Rochester during winter: If visiting Rochester during winter, you will have a range of winter activities that you can enjoy with your family and friends. Go ice-skating at Martin Luther King Jr. Park, also known as the Manhattan Square Park, is a beautiful outdoor facility in the downtown area of Rochester. 30 minutes’ drive from the city towards the south and you will reach the Genesee Country Village & Museum where numerous trails are available for hiking and cross-country skiing or snowshoeing. Head out to Varysburg, an hour’s drive from Rochester, to visit the Hidden Valley Animal Adventure where you take a sleigh ride in the winter and see animals in the snow. Visit the Finger Lakes, 11 glacier-carved lakes and beautiful panorama with over 100 New York State wineries located here.
Below we have a list of things to do in Rochester and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Rochester getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Rochester with confidence.