"All Roads lead to Rome"
The ethereal place that has been magnetising the world since centuries, Rome never fails to amaze! The capital city of Italy, Rome is more than just a city; it's an experience! As you travel through its ancient streets and soak in the culture, you realise what's so special about it! It sits on the Tiber River in the Lazio region, and is the country’s largest and most populous city. The history of Rome spans fascinating two and a half thousand years and has left an imprint on many a modern day culture. The Roman Empire dominated the whole of Western Europe and the Mediterranean including North Africa for more than seven hundred years from the 1st century BC until the 7th century AD. Rome’s Vatican City is the most important site for Catholics all over the world and the city has been home to the Pope since the 1st century AD.
Rome has always been one of the world’s greatest attractions and in 2007; it was 11th in the list of most visited places and the most popular tourist attractions in Italy. The iconic sight of the Colosseum, and the Vatican Museums are amongst the world's 50 most visited tourist attractions. There is so much to Rome that you simply can't span a Rome itinerary on paper!
With an existence on the world history for last 2800 years, Rome is dotted with iconic structures that will stun you! No wonder why, the city centre of Rome is a UNESCO world heritage site. Food is also an important aspect that you have to explore when in Rome. The delightful pallet of Italian flavours is more than just food, it’s a luxury! Each one of you should take a Rome tour at least once and experience all that it has to offer.
Essential travel information and Rome tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC +1
- Currency: Euro
- Electricity and Internet: 230V, 50Hz (European or Italian plug). Internet is widely available in hotels, sightseeing buses and restaurants. You can also purchase a local SIM and activate internet on your phone, for cheap.
- Languages: Italian, English
- Emergency Contacts: Police- 112, General Emergency- 113, Fire- 115.
- Tipping: Tipping is not expected but appreciated.
Local Customs and General Tips:
- A sit-down coffee is more expensive than a take-away coffee.
- Tap water is perfectly safe to drink, public taps are available widely.
- The major attractions are crowded, no matter what time of the year you visit Rome. Skip-thee-line tickets are recommended.
- When visiting a church, especially in the Vatican, ladies can carry a scarf.
- Beware of pickpockets and scammers.
Off the Beaten Track experiences in Rome
- Take a ferry along the Tiber. It’s cheap, practical and distinctly untouristy, rub shoulders with the locals and see the Rome City from a new angle. An hour should do it.
- Check out the Porta Portese flea market in Trastavere on Sundays. Pop in or spend all day.
- Get a bus to the top of any one of Rome’s seven hills, and look down over the City. Stay until the evening and see the sun go down for real Roman magic.
Rome Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Rome. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Rome trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Rome
Save 10%Small-Group Ancient Rome and Colosseum Underground Tour
3 Hrs158 Reviews
Save 10%Moonlight Tour of the Colosseum and Ancient Rome
3 Hrs501 Reviews
Save 10%Skip the Line Tour: Colosseum Official Guided Tour - Entrance Fee Included
1 Hr 3 Mins290 Reviews
Save 7%Tivoli Day Trip from Rome with Lunch Including Hadrian's Villa and Villa d'Este
7 Hrs 30 Mins74 Reviews
Save 17%Colosseum by Night with Underground Access, Arena Floor & Roman Forum Tour
2 Hrs 30 Mins596 Reviews