How to Reach Rome
The Easiest Way to Reach Rome
HOW TO GET TO ROME
- By Air: Rome has two main international airports, namely the Leonardo da Vinci/Fiumicino International Airport and the G.B. Pastine/Ciampino International Airport. The Leonardo da Vinci/Fiumicino International Airport is a modern and huge airport serving flights to and from all the major destinations across the globe. Late-night transfers are difficult since the buses are irregular after-hours. The G.B. Pastine/Ciampino International Airport is a relatively smaller and cheaper. It is closer to the city centre but no direct trains are available. Once reached the airport, these are the ways you can reach the city centre- From the Leonardo da Vinci/Fiumicino airport, there are two train lines: The Leonardo Express leaving every 30 minutes is the best way to reach the city centre from the airport. There are also private bus companies offering connections and you can also hire a taxi to reach the city centre.
- By Train: Roma Termini is the main train station of Rome and offers connections to all the major destinations in Italy. Roma Tiburtina, Roma Ostiense, Roma Trastevere and Roma Tuscolana are the other stations in Rome. For long distance travel, luggage storage is available.
- By Car: Rome is served by the motorway Grande Raccordo Anulare or GRA. GPS or a map is essential.
- By Boat: There are two ways to reach Rome by boat- cruise ships and ferries. Ferries operate ro Barcelona, Tunis, Toulon (France), Porto-Vecchio (Corsica), Olbia and Sardinia.
HOW TO GET AROUND ROME
- By Car: You can hire a car for reasonable charges but the Rome Travel guide recommends avoiding it. The traffic is chaotic, parking is rare and the directions are difficult to find.
- By taxi: This is the most expensive way to get around Rome but a convenient and efficient one. Taxis run on meters but make sure the meter is working before you get in.
- By Bus: Probably the best way to get around Rome; the buses operate to all the parts of the city. There are also night buses are useful since the metros do not operate after 11.30 pm.
- By HO-HO Bus: Hop-on-Hop-off buses are a great way to explore all the attractions in Rome. Various companies operate these double-decker buses.
- By Tram: There are six tram lines operating in Rome # 2, # 3, # 5, # 8, # 14 and # 19.
- By Metro: There are three and a half Metro lines: A, B, its B1 branch and the new C line. Lines A and B cross at Termini, while line C doesn't reach the city centre.
- Light Rail: Nice option to reach the parts of the city like Viterbo or Ostia Antica.
- On foot: This is a beautiful way to explore the romantic city of Rome.
If you are planning to stay in Rome for three or more days, you can buy a Roma Pass which avails entry to the first two museums (except Vatican museums) and full access to public transport and reduced tickets to Rome museums, exhibitions, music events, theatrical and dance performances.
Explore the route planner online for your visit to Rome and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Modes of Transportation in Rome
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Rome. The most preferred mode of transport in Rome is Car.
Average distance: 19.25 km Average time: 46.38 min
Car 36.07%Driving 41.82 min Walking 2.14 min Overall average time for 23 kms 43.95 min
Bus/Trolleybus 18.03%Bus 33.36 min Waiting 14.27 min Walking 10.36 min Train 6.64 min Other 0.91 min Driving 0.64 min Overall average time for 13.73 kms 66.18 min
Walking 4.92%Walking 15 min Train 4.67 min Bus 3.67 min Motorbike 3.33 min Waiting 2.67 min Overall average time for 4.83 kms 29.33 min
Motorbike 18.03%Motorbike 29.55 min Walking 0.27 min Overall average time for 23.36 kms 29.82 min
Train/Metro 9.84%Train 27 min Waiting 18.83 min Walking 10.67 min Bus 1.67 min Driving 1.67 min Other 1 min Overall average time for 17.5 kms 60.83 min
Bike 3.28%Bike 37.5 min Overall average time for 12.5 kms 37.5 min
- How to reach Cities Near Rome
- How to reach Via Di Ghivizzano
- How to reach Frisa
- How to reach Montefalcone Di Val Fortore
- How to reach Maciano
- How to reach Stella Marina
- How to reach Cellole
- How to reach Arienzo
- How to reach Prata Di Principato Ultra
- How to reach Castel San Niccolò
- How to reach Capodrise
- How to reach Corbara
- How to reach Castiglione Messer Marino
- How to reach Cities around the world
- How to reach Batam Island
- How to reach Sigiriya
- How to reach Nagarkot
- How to reach Pokhara
- How to reach Naifaru
- How to reach Langkawi Island
- How to reach Penang Hill
- How to reach Bintan Island
- How to reach Lauterbrunnen
- How to reach Sorrento