Porta San Giovanni2582 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Piazza di Porta San Giovanni, 00185 Roma, Italy, Rome Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 00:15 Mins
- Tags: Walking Area, Ancient Ruin, Historical Site, Architecture
This ancient structure is essentially a gate which is in the Roman Aurelian Wall. The gate derives its name from the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano or the Basilica of St. John in Laterano which is situated nearby.
The architecture is of a singular grand arch style and was dedicated originally to Pope Gregory XIII. Some popular stories regarding this arch states that the architect who designed and built it died in front of the gate of indigestion. It is also mentioned that the indigestion was brought about by watermelons.
The striking aspect about the architecture of the gate is that it does not bear any of the standard components that are visible in other gates of the city walls such as, battlements, ramparts and other defense mechanisms. This arch is rather welcoming and homely in contradiction.
How to Reach Porta San Giovanni
- San Giovanni station
- Line A
- Il Gelataccio – Gelateria
- desserts Sensus Restaurant – Soup kitchen
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Rome before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Rome and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Porta San Giovanni Address: Piazza di Porta San Giovanni, 00185 Roma, Italy, Rome
- Porta San Giovanni Timing: 24-hrs
- Time required to visit Porta San Giovanni: 00:15 Mins
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
5.09% of people who visit Rome include Porta San Giovanni in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
38.53% of people start their Porta San Giovanni visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Porta San Giovanni
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Porta San Giovanni
People normally club together Hadrian's Villa and Piazza Di Spagna while planning their visit to Porta San Giovanni.