San Pietro In Vincoli6613 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Piazza di San Pietro in Vincoli, 4/a, 00184 Roma, Italy, Rome Map
- Timings: 08:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +31-0697844952
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Statue, Sculpture
Established in the 5th century by Empress Eudoxia to guard the precious relic- the chain by which Saint Peter was bound in the prison on Jerusalem. The chain is carefully preserved under the high alter and is exposed to devotes on 1st August of every year. The structure was rebuilt in the 8th century and underwent further refurbishments in the facade and portico during the 1500’s.
The building displays a portico with five arches flaunting octagonal pillars bearing the coats of arms of Pope Julius the second. The interior of the church is planned on the lines of a basilica and is divided into three naves bifurcated by 20 Doric columns in Greek Marble.
One of the most striking highlights of the church is the statue of Moses done by master sculptor and artist Michelangelo. Completed in 16th century, the colossal statue adorns the tomb that Julius II had commissioned to the artist.
Inspired by Raphael and Donatello, the statue presents a magnificent Moses sitting with the Tablets of Law under his arm while his other hand caresses his long beard which looks so intricate and lifelike as if it was painted not sculpted. The sculptor depicts an angry Moses who is on the verge of getting up and destroying everything, which is pretty visible from his swollen veins and tensed muscles!
San Pietro in Vincoli is one of the tourist attractions in Rome Itinerary 4 Days and 5 days Rome trip. You must visit this amazing tourist attraction in Rome.
San Pietro In Vincoli Travel Tips
- Maintain Peace
How to Reach San Pietro In Vincoli
- Metro station Cavour, bus 117, 75, N2
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Rome before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Rome and book an accommodation of your choice.
- San Pietro In Vincoli Address: Piazza di San Pietro in Vincoli, 4/a, 00184 Roma, Italy, Rome
- San Pietro In Vincoli Contact Number: +31-0697844952
- San Pietro In Vincoli Timing: 08:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Best time to visit San Pietro In Vincoli(preferred time): 03:30 pm - 05:30 pm
- Time required to visit San Pietro In Vincoli: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
13.08% of people who visit Rome include San Pietro In Vincoli in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
92.15% of people start their San Pietro In Vincoli visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see San Pietro In Vincoli
79.01% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting San Pietro In Vincoli
People normally club together Roman Forum and Basilica Of San Clemente Al Laterano while planning their visit to San Pietro In Vincoli.