Santa Maria Sopra Minerva6579 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Piazza della Minerva, 42, 00186 Rome, Italy Map
- Timings: 07:30 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +39-0669920384
- Time Required: 00:45 Mins
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Architecture
This church belongs to the Dominicans or the Roman Catholic Order of Preachers and is considered to be one of the most important churches for the preachers of the faith. There are quite a few areas of interest connected with this church.
For starters, the site on which it is built is purported to have housed a temple to the Egyptian goddess, Isis who was then mistaken for Minerva, the Greco-Roman Goddess by the authorities. Another special feature of this church is that it is possibly the only building in Rome which was originally built in the Gothic style of architecture, rather than being refurbished in the Gothic style much like many other monuments and buildings.
It is advised that people visit the interior of the church to get a feel of the impressive and imposing architecture and to take a look at Michelangelo’s Christ the Redeemer. Also, it will be a good idea to visit the church because of its close proximity to the Pantheon.
How to Reach Santa Maria Sopra Minerva
- 10 minute walk from Subway to Barberini, Line A.
- Buses to Pie’ Di Marmo
- Il Peperoncino D'oro – Local cuisine, pizzeria
- Osteria del Cavaliere – Traditional Italian
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Rome before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Rome and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Santa Maria Sopra Minerva Address: Piazza della Minerva, 42, 00186 Rome, Italy
- Santa Maria Sopra Minerva Contact Number: +39-0669920384
- Santa Maria Sopra Minerva Timing: 07:30 am - 07:00 pm
- Time required to visit Santa Maria Sopra Minerva: 00:45 Mins
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
12.99% of people who visit Rome include Santa Maria Sopra Minerva in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
62.61% of people start their Santa Maria Sopra Minerva visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Santa Maria Sopra Minerva
91.57% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Santa Maria Sopra Minerva
People normally club together Centrale Montemartini and Beach Head War Cemetery while planning their visit to Santa Maria Sopra Minerva.
People also prefer to start their day with Santa Maria Sopra Minerva.