Santa Maria TrastevereCurrently Open
- Address: Piazza di Santa Maria in Trastevere, 00153 Roma, Italy, Rome Map
- Timings: 07:30 am - 09:00 pm Details
- Phone: +39-065814802
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Historical Site
The oldest church in Rome dedicated to Virgin Mary, Santa Maria Trastevere dates back to early 3rd century. With few new additions in its original structure in the 12th century, the church was beautified with the Romanesque Bell tower and a glittering facade. The portico was added in 1702. The church has fascinating legend surrounding it which states that the church stands on the spot of fountain of oil which miraculously sprang up from the ground.
The structure incorporates 21 columns and a 17th century wooden ceiling. The 12th century mosaics adorning the interior are a must-observe. The six mosaics by Pietro Cavallini featuring the life of virgin are worth looking out for. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Rome itinerary 5 days.
Santa Maria Trastevere Travel Tips
- Maintain peace
How to Reach Santa Maria Trastevere
- Tram 8, bus 115
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Rome before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Rome and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Santa Maria Trastevere Address: Piazza di Santa Maria in Trastevere, 00153 Roma, Italy, Rome
- Santa Maria Trastevere Contact Number: +39-065814802
- Santa Maria Trastevere Timing: 07:30 am - 09:00 pm
- Time required to visit Santa Maria Trastevere: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
18.18% of people who visit Rome include Santa Maria Trastevere in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
32.39% of people start their Santa Maria Trastevere visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Santa Maria Trastevere
91.47% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Santa Maria Trastevere
People normally club together Spanish Steps and Piazza Navona while planning their visit to Santa Maria Trastevere.