Colosseum43413 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: Piazza del Colosseo, 1, 00184 Rome, Italy
- Timings: 08:30 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 16 EUR
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Ancient Ruin, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Amphitheater
The centre of the city of Rome is where the Colosseum makes its majestic presence felt. Constructed over a period of 100 years beginning from about 70 to 80 AD, this stone and concrete amphitheatre was commissioned by Emperor Vespasian and was completed by his successor to the throne.
A marvel of human ingenuity in architecture and engineering, the Coliseum has today overcome its bloody and gruesome history to bear testimony to the timeless appeal of Roman architecture and the grandeur of the empire. Early uses of the amphitheater included dramas, gladiator battles, public spectacles, executions, animal hunts and other vicious forms of entertainment.
Later on however, the Coliseum became closely associated to the Catholic Church and to this day, it remains as the location for the torch lit “Way of the Cross” processions around the premises, led by the Pope every year on Good Friday.
Colosseum Travel Tips
- The queue is huge, be there as early as possible.
- Carry a water bottle and wear a hat.
- Guided tours are available.
Entrance Ticket Details For Colosseum
- Single ticket € 12.00 reduced 7.50.
- All visitors under the age of 18 and EU citizens over the age of 65 Free.
- The ticket price to Colosseum is also valid for Roman Forum and Palentine hill for 2 days including the day of purchase.
- EU reduced ticket: €10.50 (available only for European citizens aged between 18 and 25)
- EU complimentary ticket: €4.50 (available only for EU citizens aged above 65 and under 18)
- Guided tour has separate ticket.
- Duration of guided tour: 45 minutes
How to Reach Colosseum
- Subway to piazza del Colosseo
- Blue line
- Trattoria Monti – Italian cuisine, budget, authentic and traditional
- Ciuri Ciuri – Sicilian style bakery
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Rome before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Rome and book an accommodation of your choice.
92.89% of people who visit Rome include Colosseum in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
61.4% of people start their Colosseum visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Colosseum
65.85% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Colosseum
Colosseum Reviews & Ratings
1. How long colosseum has been standing?Answer Report Abuse
The construction of the Colosseum was completed in AD 80.Report Abuse