A medieval glory, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, meaning the ‘red castle over the river Tauber’ in German, is situated in the district of Ansbach of Mittelfranken (Middle Franconia) region of Bavaria. A must on the itinerary of those traveling in the South of Germany because of its picturesque position over river Tauber complete with cobbled lanes, half-timber architecture against a wealthy backdrop of fountains and flowers. Rothenburg, a flourishing market town until the 17th century is now a top tourist stop, along the Romantic Road route. In spite of being well on its way to becoming a medieval theme park, Rothenburg is still Germany’s best-preserved walled town.
Rothenburg is a dreamy, fairytale town, the panorama making it effortlessly romantic. The town’s architecture, untouched since the Thirty Years War of 1618, adds to the old town charm. Exploring Rothenburg’s splendid old streets and buildings, you'll easily be transported to another time and place.
Being a medieval town rich in History, Rothenburg encompasses a large number of museums, churches and galleries. Along with this, for those with other interests, there are photo-perfect medieval views, tons of shopping, a spectacular 500-year-old wood carving, and a few walking tours. It is also the place to go if you want to get into the Christmas spirit, hosting one of the most popular Christmas markets in the world. So now if you are already planning trip to Rothenburg, read on for all the information you will require. Right from the best time to visit Rothenburg to how to travel to this charming city, from top things to do here to travel tips and even eateries where you’ll get delectable food.
Essential travel information and Rothenburg tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Central European Time Zone; UTC+1/+2
- Currency: Euro
- Electricity and Internet: The voltage is 230 V/ 50 Hz. Internet in the form of wi-fi is available at most of the hotels, restaurants and places of interest.
- Languages: English is the first language; German is a distant second.
- Security: Dial 112 for Police, Ambulance or Fire Brigade.
- Off-beaten Path: Definitely walk around to get the most of this charming town, climb tower walls to get various views of in and around the town and rent a bike to see the outskirts.
- Tipping: Service and VAT are counted in in the menu price in restaurants, bars, etc. all over Germany. Still, it is usual to "round up" the amount to some more-or-less round figure. A rule of thumb is to add 5-10%, normally ending with a full Euro amount.
Rothenburg Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for rothenburg. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using rothenburg trip planner.