Waimangu Volcanic ValleyCurrently Closed
- Address: 587 Waimangu Road off SH5 (main Rotorua – Taupo highway), Rotorua, New Zealand
- Timings: 08:30 am - 03:45 pm Details
- Phone: +64-73666137
- Ticket Price: 36 NZD
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Observatory, Family And Kids, Valley, Bird Watching
A must see attraction when visiting Rotorua, the Waimangu Voclacanic Valley is said to be the youngest geothermal system. Many highly rated and internationally acclaimed geothermal features such as the Inferno Crater Lake and the rather appropriately named Frying Pan Lake dot the valley. There are various trails for you to explore, with a free guide to inform you about the particular structures and its history. The walk it self is rather surreal, with picturesque surroundings and exotic bird life.
- Children 6-16 years - $12; Children under 6 - Free.
- These prices are for the walk only. A cruise on the Lake Rotomahana will incur additional charges.
- The Valley is open till 4:40 PM in summer months.
- Waimangu Volcanic Valley tour offers the option to pick you up from Rotorua, alternately you can also drive there.
- Cafe Nature, situated at the entrance of the Waimangu Volcanic Valley, offers a selection of hot and cold snacks, soups and drinks.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Rotorua before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Rotorua and book an accommodation of your choice.
53.94% of people who visit Rotorua include Waimangu Volcanic Valley in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
51.11% of people start their Waimangu Volcanic Valley visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Waimangu Volcanic Valley
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Waimangu Volcanic Valley
Went there with a group of students. Was a really cool spot with knowledgeable and friendly guides. Great valley walk through the volcanic craters followed by a boat ride over the main crater lake woth geysers and then a bus ride back to the top of the hill.
Definitely worth a visit. Really interesting to see the result and documentation of such recent large seismic events. Cafe food was pretty ordinary.
It was nice if you’ve never seen geothermal activity before but make sure you don’t come at 3pm or later because you will miss lots the Park has to offer due to the closing hours.
Very cool, the hiking trail is amazing, you can really see a lot of geothermal activity. I recommend seeing the Inferno lake.
I really enjoyed the walk.. The hike the geysers the beautiful colors on the water I loved it