Rottnest Island Tourism
The local Noongar people call the island ‘Wadjemup’, or even ‘Rotto.’ The island has only about a hundred permanent residents of its own, but welcomes over half a million tourists annually. Loved for its sandy beaches, snorkelling-friendly waters, and enchanting natural swimming pool, Rottnest Island frequently surprises people with the accounts of its stark history.
Back in the day, this used to be an Aboriginal Prison Island. Many of the structures you see around the island were built by these prisoners, in practice of what is now thought of as slavery. The island was also infamous for its shipwrecks. You can learn all this history at the Rottnest Museum.
Attractions-wise, the island is mostly bays, beaches, natural swimming pools and cycling tracks. The waters are a lovely blue-green, and the sand is a pretty white. Before you commence your gallivanting around the island, make sure to visit the Rottnest Island Visitor Centre; it’s the best information resource in town. Check out the two lighthouses (you may climb one, but not the other). There are cute quokkas everywhere. About 10% of the island is salt flats, if you’re the geological type. Other than these, the island is the standard, perfect vacation getaway.
Essential travel information and Rottnest Island tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC/GMT +8:00 hours
- Currency: AUD (Australian Dollar)
- Electricity and Internet: Both are rather easily available.
- Languages: English is the main language. Others include Italian, Greek, Cantonese, Arabic, Mandarin and Vietnamese.
- Security: Crime is nil. You’re safe from people. Be wary of the poisonous wild dugites (snakes) that reside in the scrublands.
- Police: +61 8 9292 5029
- Nursing Post: +61 8 9292 5030
- Tipping: Australia doesn’t have much of a tipping culture. If the service has been exceptional, you may leave a 5-10% tip.
Rottnest Island Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Rottnest Island. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Rottnest Island trip planner.