The Basin, Rottnest IslandCurrently Open
- Address: The Basin, Rottnest Island, Australia
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Beach, Waterfront, Family And Kids, Water Sport, Snorkeling
About The Basin, Rottnest Island
At first look, it’s not obvious why the Basin’s been called Australia’s best swimming beach. The rocks around it actually look a little formidable. Then you realise that these headlands actually keep the emerald green water sheltered from the wilder parts of the ocean; and that the cove has clean white sands. It looks like a natural jewel. Sharks cannot enter the basin.
To get to the actual swimming pool, you’ll have to step over the reef from the beach. It really does feel like you’re floating in a basin once you’re in the pool. And just like a real pool, the water slowly goes from waist deep to 3 metres.
If you’re willing and able to swim further out into the ocean when the conditions are safe (current and weather both), then you’ll find a good snorkelling area in the reefs. Getting there can be a bit of a long swim though, so if you’re not a regular swimmer, do not attempt this.
Thought the pool is on the western side of the bay, the eastern beach is quieter and more secluded, with a much smaller pool. A limestone hill on the western edge is a good spot for taking pics of the magnificent vista.
The Basin Information
- The Basin is bad for swimming when the weather is rough. This tends to happen in winter.
- There may occasionally be stingers in the water.
- There are change rooms and toilets on the road close to the western end of the bay.
- There are picnic facilities.
- Boats are not allowed into the Basin.
How To reach The Basin by Public Transport
- It’s quite easy to reach here from the main settlement. Ask directions and walk or ride along.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Rottnest Island before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Rottnest Island and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting The Basin
95% of people who visit Rottnest Island include The Basin in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
33.52% of people start their The Basin visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see The Basin
91.11% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting The Basin