Gateway Arch, Saint Louis
About Gateway Arch, Saint Louis
Gateway Arch, Saint Louis - Address, Phone Number
Address: 200 Washington Ave., between Memorial Dr & Lenore K. Sullivan Blvd, on the riverfront, Saint Louis, MO 63103 (Downtown)
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:00 am - 09:00 pm Details
Added 11.9K times in trip plans
View Point, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Architecture
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Shining silver bright, delicately curved yet gigantic in size, Saint Louis’ Gateway Arch is quite a sight to be behold. Not only is it a real beauty but also the tallest man-made monument in the Western Hemisphere! When one combines the arch’s architectural splendour with its rich historical significance, you start truly appreciating why this is the symbol of the city.
In 1803, U.S President Thomas Jefferson procured the territory of Louisiana for $15 million dollars from the French Government, thus marking the westward expansion of the United States. More than a hundred years later, the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Association laid the foundations of the larger than life, steel memorial that commemorates this growth. Stretching up and over an impressive 630 feet, its sleek body is in the shape of an inverted and flattened piece of spider webbing. The arch is a popular sight to see because of its physical beauty, historical significance, and the fascinating details that went into its creation.
- Obviously, the most popular activity at the arch is ascending this towering figure, which you can do in three ways: take an elevator, travel up in tram-capsules or climb 1,076 stairs. You can imagine which option is the least favourite!
- No matter which route you choose, once you’re at the top you’ll be in for a treat. You can see up to thirty miles, with Missouri in the East and Illinois in the West. Imagine the view of St. Louis from up upon one of the tallest arches in the Western Hemisphere!
- The museum at the bottom is a great introduction to what the arch honours and explains the expansion westward and the pioneers behind it. This museum transforms this modern day marvel into a time machine.
- If you’re more comfortable with your feet on the ground, worry not. There’s a stunning lighting system that creates magic upon the reflective stainless steel of the arch’s body. Normal nights have the arch lit up with bright white flood lights and on special occasions or momentous days, you can expect a bouquet of colours and lighting effects splashed out across its body.
Besides the Gateway Arch, there are other parts to the Jefferson Memorial all around the area. Though the arch is the most magnificent structure there, there are many other complimentary structures in the area, such as the Old Court House, which represent the past of St. Louis.
Gateway Arch Information
- A late morning during the summer months is the busiest time to visit the arch, so try to visit at another time if you want to avoid crowds.
- Designated accessible parking spaces are available in the Arch Parking Garage on Washington Avenue, at the north end of the Arch grounds.
- RVs and other vehicles over 7 feet high, which cannot enter the garage can drop off passengers at the Old Cathedral parking lot on South Memorial Drive.
- This is not fully accessible. There are no accommodations for wheelchairs, scooters, or strollers to the top levels of the Gateway Arch or the Old Courthouse.
- The tram-pods are small and may be cramped for taller people.
- Sign language interpretation for live programs is available with one week advanced notice.
- You can also ride a boat on the lake or view a screening of the film ‘Monument to the Dream’ which details the construction of the Arch.
- Parking charges are extra.
- The museum gift shop is home to loads of books, videos, posters, and educational material.
Gateway Arch Ticket Prices
- 15 and under- $5
- Adults- $10
- Group tickets are available and you can book them online.
Gateway Arch Opening and Closing Hours
- Summer and winter hours slightly differ.
- You can view the structure even before or after the trams are shut.
How To reach Gateway Arch by Public Transport
- There are numerous bus and motor coach stops in the area.
Restaurants Near Gateway Arch
- Old Spaghetti Factory (Italian)
- BB’s Jazz, Blues and Soups (American)
- Broadway Oyster Bar (Seafood)
- Lucas Park Grille (Pastas, Desserts, Grilled Food)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Saint Louis before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Saint Louis and book an accommodation of your choice.
Gateway Arch, Saint Louis Reviews - Write a Review
Very awesome! Go during the day because it's a little difficult to get to at night. We drove in circles about 6 times. It was worth seeing at night with all the lights glowing as well as during the day. Amazing structure, with a nice little visitor's center behind it. You can take a ride in it. A little difficult for handicap since we couldn't find handicap parking, and it's a long, uphill walk. It took a strong, kind policeman to get my husband's wheelchair up the hill.
Of course its always cool visiting the arch. Just wish they had closer parking especially for handicapped. During off peak season or time they should let people park or if people are in the vehicle sit in the "bus zone". It must be off season when we were there recently. Never seen one bus! There is 2 handicapped loading zones. My friend and I stayed in the car while couple other friends went up the arch. The police are not very friendly. Come up with a mouth full of sunflower seeds and spitting them. Not very respectful.
Beautiful site! A must see! Trip to the top was cool if you can handle the cramped ride to the top. Quick ride 3 min to the top 4 down. You can stay at the top as long as you want or until they ask you to leave. Could stay up there all day if you wanted to.
Best experience of my life. View of a lifetime. Worth every dollar I spent. Me and my girlfriend enjoyed it so much. I'm afraid of heights but it was awesome lol. Some great views and a cool little ride up. Will definitely go again when I come back.
A least once in your life you've got to get into the pod and take the trip up to the top. A huge feat and tourist destination, the mini movie and the ride will help you imagine the changing world when this arch was created to represent the gateway to the West and the start of Route 66. You can get your tickets at the courthouse or at one of the stands on the grounds. Be prepared to walk and slow down to take in all this seemingly simple arch had to offer. Your tickets will time stamp your entry time and give yourself an hour from that point on for the whole adventure. Get yourself a souvenir too...it's a once in a life time activity you can giggle about later.
- Nearby Attractions
- The Terrace At French Village
- St. Louis Children's Hospital
- Marriot Grand Hotel
- City Museum & Washington Avenue Parking St Louis
- St. Louis Cardinals
- Hong Kong Express
- Saint Louis Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Saint Louis
- What to See in 48 Hours in Saint Louis
- What to See in 72 Hours in Saint Louis
- How to Spend 5 Days in Saint Louis
- How to Spend 6 Days in Saint Louis
- How to Spend 7 Days in Saint Louis