Gateway Arch1396 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 200 Washington Ave., between Memorial Dr & Lenore K. Sullivan Blvd, on the riverfront, Saint Louis, MO 63103 (Downtown), United States Map
- Phone: +1-3149821410
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: View Point, Family And Kids, Architecture
Shining silver bright, delicately curved yet gigantic in size, Saint Louis’ Gateway Arch is quite a sight to be behold. Not only is it a real beauty but also the tallest man-made monument in the Western Hemisphere! When one combines the arch’s architectural splendour with its rich historical significance, you start truly appreciating why this is the symbol of the city.
In 1803, U.S President Thomas Jefferson procured the territory of Louisiana for $15 million dollars from the French Government, thus marking the westward expansion of the United States. More than a hundred years later, the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Association laid the foundations of the larger than life, steel memorial that commemorates this growth. Stretching up and over an impressive 630 feet, its sleek body is in the shape of an inverted and flattened piece of spider webbing. The arch is a popular sight to see because of its physical beauty, historical significance, and the fascinating details that went into its creation.
- Obviously, the most popular activity at the arch is ascending this towering figure, which you can do in three ways: take an elevator, travel up in tram-capsules or climb 1,076 stairs. You can imagine which option is the least favourite!
- No matter which route you choose, once you’re at the top you’ll be in for a treat. You can see up to thirty miles, with Missouri in the East and Illinois in the West. Imagine the view of St. Louis from up upon one of the tallest arches in the Western Hemisphere!
- The museum at the bottom is a great introduction to what the arch honours and explains the expansion westward and the pioneers behind it. This museum transforms this modern day marvel into a time machine.
- If you’re more comfortable with your feet on the ground, worry not. There’s a stunning lighting system that creates magic upon the reflective stainless steel of the arch’s body. Normal nights have the arch lit up with bright white flood lights and on special occasions or momentous days, you can expect a bouquet of colours and lighting effects splashed out across its body.
Besides the Gateway Arch, there are other parts to the Jefferson Memorial all around the area. Though the arch is the most magnificent structure there, there are many other complimentary structures in the area, such as the Old Court House, which represent the past of St. Louis.
Gateway Arch Travel Tips
- A late morning during the summer months is the busiest time to visit the arch, so try to visit at another time if you want to avoid crowds.
- Designated accessible parking spaces are available in the Arch Parking Garage on Washington Avenue, at the north end of the Arch grounds.
- RVs and other vehicles over 7 feet high, which cannot enter the garage can drop off passengers at the Old Cathedral parking lot on South Memorial Drive.
- This is not fully accessible. There are no accommodations for wheelchairs, scooters, or strollers to the top levels of the Gateway Arch or the Old Courthouse.
- The tram-pods are small and may be cramped for taller people.
- Sign language interpretation for live programs is available with one week advanced notice.
- You can also ride a boat on the lake or view a screening of the film ‘Monument to the Dream’ which details the construction of the Arch.
- Parking charges are extra.
- The museum gift shop is home to loads of books, videos, posters, and educational material.
Entrance Ticket Details For Gateway Arch
- 15 and under- $5
- Adults- $10
- Group tickets are available and you can book them online.
Gateway Arch Hours
- Summer and winter hours slightly differ.
- You can view the structure even before or after the trams are shut.
How to Reach Gateway Arch
- There are numerous bus and motor coach stops in the area.
- Old Spaghetti Factory (Italian)
- BB’s Jazz, Blues and Soups (American)
- Broadway Oyster Bar (Seafood)
- Lucas Park Grille (Pastas, Desserts, Grilled Food)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Saint Louis before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Saint Louis and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Gateway Arch Address: 200 Washington Ave., between Memorial Dr & Lenore K. Sullivan Blvd, on the riverfront, Saint Louis, MO 63103 (Downtown), United States
- Gateway Arch Contact Number: +1-3149821410
- Time required to visit Gateway Arch: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
91.66% of people who visit Saint Louis include Gateway Arch in their plan
4 PM - 5 PM
39.56% of people start their Gateway Arch visit around 4 PM - 5 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Gateway Arch
60.49% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Gateway Arch
People normally club together Old Courthouse and Jefferson National Expansion Memorial while planning their visit to Gateway Arch.
Gateway Arch Reviews & Ratings
Is the Arch open in JanuaryAnswer Report Abuse
Address of Gateway Arch main entrance and parking in or outside of Arch? Thanks, Anton MorchAnswer Report Abuse
The Gateway Arch does not have any on-site parking. But, you will be able to find many parking garages near Old Courthouse and Gateway Arch Visitor Center. To get the directions to the Gateway Arch entrance, I suggest you visit the official website where you will find relevant information under 'Getting Here'.Report Abuse
I HAVE A LIFETIME SENIOR, AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL CARD. I will be bringing two adults and four kids under 16 to visit the Arch. Can I purchase tickets in advance of Thursday, July 11 and how do I go about doing it?Answer Report Abuse
You can purchase the tickets in advance. You will have to visit the official website of the Gateway Arch to buy these tickets.Report Abuse
do you walk up the arch and how much is it to go to the topAnswer Report Abuse
I do not think you can walk up but there is a tram ride that takes you to the top. There are different prices depending on the package you choose but the basic ride starts from USD 12 per head for adults and USD 8 for kids between 3 to 15.Report Abuse
I am staying at a hotel on Jefferson Ave and was hoping to take the Metrolink downtown. Is there a station within walking distance of the arch?Answer Report Abuse
I suppose the closest bus stop to Gateway Arch is 4th Street @ Pine NB. For more details, I suggest search online.Report Abuse
Parking for Arch?Answer Report Abuse
The parking is available on Memorial Drive between Walnut and Market Streets as well as Chestnut and Pine Streets.Report Abuse
current admission price for the museum & ride to top of the Arch?Answer Report Abuse
The entry to Gateway Arch museum is free and the cost of the tram ride to the top is as follows: Adults $12 - $16; Children (3–15) $8 - $12; America the Beautiful Pass $9 - $13. Different combos combining the tram ride, cruise trips, and documentary movie are also available, the details of which can be checked on Gateway Arch's official website.Report Abuse
where to park close. can"t walk to far.Answer Report Abuse
The Gateway Arch is a 630-foot monument in St. Louis, Missouri. This monument is located inside The Gateway Arch National Park that is located on the banks of Mississippi River. You can visit the park between 9 AM and 6 PM on all days of the week. Hope this answers your question.
Check out many more interesting facts about the Gateway ArchReport Abuse