Jefferson Barracks Historic Park86 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 345 N Rd, St Louis, MO 63125, United States, Saint Louis
- Timings: 12:00 pm - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-3145445714
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Military Museums, Park, Historical Site, War Memorial, Cemetery, Family And Kids, Military Area
An array of red bricked buildings stands side by side, grim and strong against a backdrop of blue sky and green grass. Sometimes, you’ll see fighter planes soaring up above while soldiers train on the lawns below them. Steeped in history and fascinating facts, stands the Jefferson Barracks Historic Park.
The Jefferson Barracks Military post was an important and highly active U.S Army installation till 1946. Today it serves as the base for the army and air national guard as well as a memorial to the wars fought in the past that Saint Louis was part of. The land was originally just a plain site near the city of Carondelet and in 1826, after the military purchased the land, the first troops came to the post and began to build temporary quarter. This was also designated the first ‘Infantry School of Practice’. The Jefferson Barracks Heritage Foundation was founded 2002, with the intention of preserving the memories of the men and women who fought during the Mexican American war, the Civil war, the Spanish American war, and World War I and II. The park itself has acres of area divided between woods, trails and buildings and the parts overlooking the river are very scenic.
- The Old Ordinance Room was used to house ammunition but today is home to special exhibitions that relate to the military history of the surrounding area.
- The Powder Magazine Museum is the second of its kind to be built here and the house it is located in was used for storage of the rifles, cannon, gun powder and prepared ammunition for the troops stationed at the Barracks.
- The stable was built in 1851 and housed 4 horses and two wagons that would haul the ammunition to various places.
- The Labourer’s House was the home for civilian workmen on the barracks.
- The Missouri Civil War museum is one of a kind. With tons of memorabilia from the horrible days of the Civil War, photographs and accompanying stories, this museum is considered one of the best war time museums in the country.
- You’ll also find a special cemetery here where all those who lost their lives in service are commemorated. Deer roam these areas and create a very tranquil feel to an already pristine ground.
Jefferson Barracks Historic Park Travel Tips
- There is a grave finder computer kiosk outside of the office so that you can find anyone’s grave during hours the cemetery is open.
- The roads are narrow, but things are well marked so parking and walking shouldn’t be a problem.
- Museum buildings are open from 12:00 noon to 4:00 pm Wednesday through Sunday. Call (314) 638-2100 for more information.
How to Reach Jefferson Barracks Historic Park
- There are buses that travel to this area.
- Tucker’s Place (American)
- Home Town Buffet (American)
- Imo’s Pizza (Italian, Pizza)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Saint Louis before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Saint Louis and book an accommodation of your choice.
5.45% of people who visit Saint Louis include Jefferson Barracks Historic Park in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
88.24% of people start their Jefferson Barracks Historic Park visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Jefferson Barracks Historic Park
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Jefferson Barracks Historic Park