One of 12 chosen cities to host the 2014 FIFA World Cup, Salvador is bracing itself for a tremendous flow of tourists. When you think of Brazil, the first city that comes to mind is Rio de Janeiro, and that’s where the day dreaming starts and ends. You might now know this, but Salvador is the hub of the Afro-Brazilian culture and has by far, the best preserved heritage if you really want to know what went down during the colonial times.
Known as the “land of happiness”, the icing on the cake here is the abundance of sand and sunshine. As you amble about the cobblestoned streets of Salvador, don’t be alarmed if your body starts moving to the rhythmic beats of the African music that is unique to the streets of Salvador. A holiday here is sure to make you want to re-visit the place.
Essential travel information and Salvador tips for your visit
- Salvador is known for its street crime, so don’t wander away from touristy zones. All the main tourist attractions are thronged by police officials.
- Travel as much as you can during the day. When you step out for sight-seeing, don’t carry any valuables and don’t openly display how fat your wallet is.
- Never ever go to the beach at night and avoid the long sloping road leading from the old town to the harbor like the plague.
- Don’t share a taxi with a stranger. We’ll all seen movies where people are easily manipulated into sharing a cab with strangers. Be suspicious of anyone who approaches you- they’ll either try and sell you something or rob you!
- Cross the road only after the vehicles on the street have come to a stop. Don’t try and cut across when the pedestrian crossing is red.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Salvador
Save 7%Full-Day Historic Private City Tour of Salvador with Lunch
8 Hrs7 Reviews
Save 7%Half Day Historical City Tour
4 Hrs1 Reviews
Save 7%Private City Tour of Salvador da BahiaNew on TripHobo
1 Day1 Reviews
Save 7%Outskirts Private City Tour Including Favelas of SalvadorNew on TripHobo
Save 10%Praia do Forte with Guarajuba Beach - Day Trip from Salvador
8 Hrs1 Reviews