Hellbrunn Castle2594 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Fürstenweg 37, 5020 Salzburg, Austria Map
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:30 pm Details
- Phone: +43-6628203720
- Ticket Price: 13 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Castle, Historical Site, Palace, Family And Kids, Architecture
Called the ‘Lustschloss’, or ‘Pleasure Palace’, of Hellbrun and complete with a water park, the Hellbrunn Castle is both fascinating and entertaining, making it quite an experience for everyone who visits. Built at the command of the famous Prince-Archbishop Markus Sittikus von Hohenems, visitors can tour the fine-looking castle and then spend the rest of the day by the Wasserspiele. A trip here promises both historical learning as well as a fun little twist by the gardens.
The famous architect SantinoSolari was commissioned to build the castle, which was meant to be a summer residence for the Archbishop. It was built in a relatively short time in the beautiful style of Italian Architecture. Since it was just a summer house, it holds no bedrooms and a tour around the castle is shorter than average though interesting none the less. The central theme of the castle is water, and this extends to the gardens as well. The area is well hydrated by a clear spring located nearby and this enabled the construction of the castles most famous feature, the water-park or ‘Wasserspiele’. The Archbishop had a funny bone had liked playing pranks on his guests, which led to the idea of the water park. Secret water fountains spring out at visitors and a series of other water based attractions are present by the garden. Objects are pushed off the ground by jets of water as the songs of mechanical birds fill the air. A stone dining table which soaks those seated is a popular attraction as well as a water operated musical theater. At each game exists a dry spot where the sneaky Archbishop would stand or sit and today, it is occupied by the tour guide.
The castle has magnificent ballrooms and a lovely garden, full of fish laden ponds and striking, mythological statues. A naturally formed stone quarry was turned into a stage, creating a ‘Stone Theater’, the oldest open air stage in Europe. Currently, there is also a museum which houses curio related to folklore, with objects of popular customs and piety, as well as traditional costumes.
The palace was primarily used as the site of luxurious celebrations and cultural festivities and today, the palace is still a popular venue for international events and seminars. The castle is still used for the purpose it was built for almost 400 years ago, which is no little feat in this ever changing day and age. Hellbrunn Castle is a must see for one and all, whether you seek a little history, an amusing day at the water park or some tranquility in the garden.
Hellbrunn Castle Travel Tips
- The tour of the castle is a package, with the museum, water games and other features.
- Be careful with your camera as the fountains in the garden are hidden.
- The tour is offered in multiple languages.
Entrance Ticket Details For Hellbrunn Castle
- Ticket price consists of Palace audioguide, guided tour of trick fountains and visit to folkmuseum.
- Adults: 12.50 Euros
- Students (19-26): 8 Euros
- Children, pupils (4–18 years): 5.50 Euros
- Familycard (2 adults+1 child): 26 Euros
- Groups (20+): 10.50 Euros
Hellbrunn Castle Hours
- Trick fountains, palace, folklore museum.
- July, August: evening tours: 7 pm, 8 pm, 9 pm.
- Beginning of last tour (guided tours every half an hour).
- Castle is open from April1–November 1.
How to Reach Hellbrunn Castle
- Bus 270 at Salzburg Alpenstrabe/Abzw Hellbrunn bus station.
- Rent or hire a car/taxi.
- St. Peters Stiftskeller
- Restaurant K & K
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Salzburg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Salzburg and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Hellbrunn Castle Address: Fürstenweg 37, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
- Hellbrunn Castle Contact Number: +43-6628203720
- Hellbrunn Castle Timing: 09:00 am - 05:30 pm
- Hellbrunn Castle Price: 13 EUR
- Time required to visit Hellbrunn Castle: 02:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
44.79% of people who visit Salzburg include Hellbrunn Castle in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
33% of people start their Hellbrunn Castle visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Hellbrunn Castle
81.08% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Hellbrunn Castle
People normally club together Wasserspiele and Fortress Hohensalzburg while planning their visit to Hellbrunn Castle.