Mirabelle Palace And Gardens4968 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Mirabellplatz 4, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
- Timings: 06:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +43-66280720
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Garden, Palace, Family And Kids
The beautifully landscaped gardens will have any visitor ready to burst into song; it did to the Von Trapp children! The Mirabelle Palace and Gardens are perhaps most famous as the site where the epic musical number ‘Do-Re-Mi’ was shot, from the 1959 movie the Sound of Music. Situated in the city center, this Baroque styled gem has been immortalized in film, and is one of the most romantic places in Europe, known as ‘the most beautiful wedding hall in the world.”
Built in 1606, it was built as a token of love for Prince-Archbishop Wolf Dietrich Raitenau’s mistress. The palace was engulfed in flames and rebuilt in its current style in 1818. Due to its romantic historical background, it can be likened to the TajMahal. The palace has stunning geometrically arranged gardens, decorated with statues of mythological figures such as Hercules, and boxwood layouts, and acts as a magical backdrop for photographs. The interior design is sophisticated and elegant, with the main hall used as a venue for concerts and wedding ceremonies.
The palace is a beautiful structure, named Mirabelle by the subsequent Archbishop, and details such as stuccowork bears, decorative cherubs and window edgings make it a visual marvel. A giant staircase is considered a precious work of art. Numerous famous architects designed this palace at different points of time, resulting in a melting pot of beautiful structural design. The Mirabell Gardens that stand today were designed around 1730, with installations put in over many years. Statues symbolizing the four elements (earth, air, water, fire) are grouped around a dazzling Pegasus Fountain. A Hedge Theater is located in the main part of the garden and is one of the oldest in the area. A Dwarf Garden is also featured, with a number of strange, misshapen creatures made of white marble. The garden is considered a horticultural masterpiece. Today, the Palace is used for more administrative purposes and serves as the offices of the Mayor of Salzburg and municipal council. People from all over the world gather to this site to wed as well as to wonder at, making it a very special destination.
Mirabelle Palace And Gardens Travel Tips
- Spring and summer must be the best time to visit.
- Refreshing on hot days!
- The other rooms house the municipal council and therefore not open to the public.
- Recommendations: The garden is the main highlight.
Entrance Ticket Details For Mirabelle Palace And Gardens
- Admission is free.
Mirabelle Palace And Gardens Hours
- Mirabell Gardens: Daily from approx 6 am to dusk.
- Marble Hall: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday: 8:00am-4:00pm; Tuesday, Friday: 1:00pm-4:00pm. No visit in case of special occasions.
- Angel Staircase: Daily from 8:00am-6:00pm.
- Hedge Theater: Closed during the winter months.
- Orangerie: Open all year round, daily 9:00am-4:00pm.
- Dwarf Garden: Closed during winter months.
How to Reach Mirabelle Palace And Gardens
- Bus 270 stops at Salzburg Mirabellplatz (Schloss Mirabell) bus station.
- By renting or hiring a car/taxi.
- Polo Lounge (Austrian, Italian, International/18€-26€ per head)
- Alter Fuchs (Austrian, Tyrolean/10€-21€ per head)
- Hotel Stadtkrug
- Restaurant Wasserfall
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Salzburg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Salzburg and book an accommodation of your choice.
88.24% of people who visit Salzburg include Mirabelle Palace And Gardens in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
29.17% of people start their Mirabelle Palace And Gardens visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Mirabelle Palace And Gardens
55.78% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Mirabelle Palace And Gardens