- Address: Residenzplatz 1, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +43-6628404510
- Ticket Price: 12 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art Museums, Art Gallery, Family And Kids
Immerse yourself in art and culture at the famous, an art gallery located in Alt Residenz in Salzburg. With a collection consisting of Rembrandt, Carlo Saraceni and CarelFabritius, the gallery is filled with beautiful ornamental room as well as exquisite artwork. The art gallery was initially supposed to replace the art collection of the archbishops, which was lost during the Napoleanic wars in the 19th century. The collection of art was constantly plundered throughout French Wars, and many of the art it held was transferred to Vienna. Its collection was limited to work between the 16th and 19th centuries and has been open for public viewing since 1923. It runs on loans from Austrian museums and private owners, with the artwork owned by the land of Salzburg. The centerpiece of the gallery is the Czernin collection, bought in 1980 though displayed far earlier on. The paintings displayed are by Dutch, Italian, French and Spanish artists. The gallery is a member of ‘Private Art Collections’ a group of art collections, which exchange works of art and co-host exhibitions across Europe, as well as other artistic endeavours. They have members from Vienna and Milan, besides Salzburg.
The gallery is located on the second floor of the majestic and opulent Residenz building, at the city center. This extensive building complex comprises of 180 rooms and three large courtyards and is situated in the heart of Old Town. It once housed the reception rooms of the Prince-Archbishops of the City. The architecture is a harmonious marriage of Renaissance, Baroque and Classical styles of building. The elaborate architecture and accessories bear witness to the wealth of that era.
There are audio tours available at the entrance of the gallery, which provides insight into the different styles of paintings that embellish the walls. You can take in the gorgeous frescoes and fabulous, rich décor, with some rooms made of gold. There are many handsome statues as well, such as the giant marble statue of a man with a clock opposite to him. Right at the top, is a terrace with a beautiful view of the picturesque city. You can grab coffee and relax after touring the gallery.
- It is very close to the Cathedral.
- There are a lot of sections where you can take an audio guide tour.
- Warnings: You’ll have to seek it out; it’s in the Residenz building.
- Recommendations: Do visit the golden rooms.
- You can play an instrument called the balustrade.
- Given price is for full access to adults.
- Adults (18+): Full access- 12 Euros; Partial access - 10 Euros
- Children (6-16): Full & Partial access- Free
- Reduced fee: Full access- 10 Euros; Partial access- 8 Euros
- Family ticket (2 Adults + 5 children): Full access- 27 Euros; Partial access- 22 Euros
- For prices of guided tours please refer official website.
- Last entrance at 4 pm.
- You can take buses 5 and 6.
- Taxis are available.
- Bus 270 stop Salzburg Rathaus bus station.
- Rent/ hire a car or taxi.
- St. Peterstifskeller
- Restaurant Symponie
- Restaurant K&K
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Salzburg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Salzburg and book an accommodation of your choice.
59.97% of people who visit Salzburg include Residenzgalerie in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
50% of people start their Residenzgalerie visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Residenzgalerie
56.49% of people prefer walking in order to reach Residenzgalerie
Bought tickets to Dom Quartier, but was not warned that it closes at 5pm. We got there at 3.30pm, but the museums are really large and takes more than 2 hours to cover fully. Although there were many staff standing around, they did not inform us that the museum was closing soon. When we enquired about the locked door on first floor, the front desk told us it was closing in 2 min. Very friendly when we were purchasing the tickets but not so friendly at the end. Such a pity...
Very impressive building, highly recommend a visit
A nice museum, situated in a fitting environment.