About Untersberg, Salzburg
Untersberg, Salzburg - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: Untersberg, Salzburg, Austria
Ticket Price: 21 EUR
Time Required: 02:30 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 28.4K times in trip plans
Mountain, Family And Kids, Adventure, Cable Car
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Standing at 6,473 feet above ground, the Untersberg is not for the faint of heart! One of the peaks of the Berchtesgarden Alps, this prominent northern massif straddles the border between Salzburg and Germany. The beautiful city of Salzburg lies just 16 kilometers away, connected by a bus route. Adventurous travelers will be treated to an amazing view thanks to the cable car which starts from the village of St. Leonhard and goes all the way up to the Geiereck spur, spanning a distance of 2.5 kilometers.
There are two legends about Mt. Untersberg. According to one story, Emperor Frederick Barbarossa is sleeping inside the mountain, until the day of his resurrection. His beard is constantly growing and is wound around a table and the day it winds thrice will signify the end of the world. When the Emperor finally leaves the mountain, the last battle of humankind will be fought. The other story says another being lives inside, being tended to by small dwarf like creatures, and wakes every hundred years. There are also many fables centered on the mysterious cave system, located below the mountain.
The system of cable cars that transport people up Untersberg are called the Untersbergbahn was created at the beginning of the 20th century. Fully operational by 1961, the largest distance from the ground is 286 meters and is famous for the breath taking views it offers. If you visit during winter, you’ll be treated to the contrasting sight of green, fresh low grounds and white, snow covered mountain. Besides the cable cars, there are a variety of snow sports you can take part in if the weather is right, including skiing, climbing, paragliding, mountaineering, snowboarding and snowshoeing, and you can explore the ice cave. Purchasing a Salzburg card, which includes bus fare and the Untersberg ticket, has a number of advantages attached, such as free beer tasting and the Steigl brewery and free entry to certain museums as well as numerous other discounts. The height can be a little dizzying but the stunning and wondrous, snowy scenery is well worth it. There’s a café at the top and travelers can trudge up through the snow to grab a hot meal and a warm drink as a reward.
- Try to go onto the cable cars during a clear day, so that your vision isn’t obscured.
- Wear the correct attire as you’ll have to trudge through snow once you’re at the top.
- You can go explore the ice cave, go hiking and choose from a variety of snow sports.
- Dress appropriately.
- Be careful with your camera.
- The fare is quite steep without purchasing a Salzburg card, so be sure to buy one for the best value.
- Recommendations: There are numerous mountain lodges and restaurants atop the mountain.
- There are numerous sports to choose from, specifically Climbing, Paragliding, Mountaineering, Ski and Snowboarding and Snowshoeing, call them for more details.
Untersberg Ticket Prices
- Entry is free.
- Cable car charges applicable.
- Ascent and descent (Adults): 23 Euros
- Children (6-14 years): 11 Euros
- Students (up to 26 years, with student card): 15 Euros
- Dogs (muzzle): 7.50 Euros
- For other detailed rates please refer official website.
Untersberg Opening and Closing Hours
Cable car hours:
- January, February: 9:00 am-4:00 pm
- March-June: 8:30 am-5:00 pm
- July-September: 8:30 am-5:30 pm
- October-November 1: 8:30 am-5:00 pm
- December 8, 2016-February 28, 2017: 9:00 am-4:00 pm
- December 24: 9:00 am-12:00 pm
- Closed: April 11-June 24, November 2-December 7
- Last descent 30 minutes before closing.
How To reach Untersberg by Public Transport
- Easy to get to the base spot where the cable car leaves by bus.
Restaurants Near Untersberg
- There are cafes on top.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Salzburg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Salzburg and book an accommodation of your choice.
Untersberg, Salzburg Reviews - Write a Review
There's a restaurant at the top (not in the station, but two minutes walking distance) that has really good food at reasonable prices. There are also lots of hiking trails at the top. The main trail is very wide and well-traveled. After 0.5km, it turns in to a steep, rocky trail that crosses in to Germany. The trail is very long, so even a day hike would have to be out and back unless you walk down. There is a bus stop right by the station that can be found on the OBB app if you search for untersberg.
AMAZING experience. It feels so wonderful to be on top of the mountain. Also mountain trails for hiking much further. Visit on clear days to get the best views. Also to see clouds pass by beside you is an unforgettable experience. If you have the salzburg card, the ride to and fro is free. All in don't miss the visit.
Great views, restaurants up the top too, prices are reasonable. Best tip - get the Salzberg card. The card costs about 27 euro and gives you one free entry to multiple tourist attractions and free public transport. Return journey on the cable car is 23 euros, so good value if you use the card again (and take the bus out to the cable car)
Neat cable car up the mountain. Highly recommend getting the Salzburg card...its 27 euro and Untersbergbahn is 23 euro. There are cafes at the bottom and top of the mountain. Bus 25 which runs every 20 min ,and is free with Salzburg card, is the best way to get out there. Great views of Salzburg and there are some views of the Alps.
The view of Alps and valley from top is nice, though the cable car ride may be unnerving for people with fear of heights etc. There are two cafes at top. Free parking at base, with more than enough parking spots. It is next to bus #25 final stop. The staff was nice and helpful. There is half an hour or so wait time between the rides going up and going down as well. It will be good to have snow boots and winter gear, if you want to hike on trails on top - even in May there was lot of snow, trails were steep, slippery and dangerous.
- Nearby Attractions
- Salt Mines
- Salzburg Personlich
- Burg Hohenwerfe
- The Sound Of Music Tour
- Südtiroler Pl. 1
- Berchtesgaden Alps
- Salzburg Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Salzburg
- What to See in 48 Hours in Salzburg
- What to See in 72 Hours in Salzburg
- How to Spend 5 Days in Salzburg
- How to Spend 6 Days in Salzburg
- How to Spend 7 Days in Salzburg