Standing at 6,473 feet above ground, the Untersberg is not for the faint of heart! One of the peaks of the Berchtesgarden Alps, this prominent northern massif straddles the border between Salzburg and Germany. The beautiful city of Salzburg lies just 16 kilometers away, connected by a bus route. Adventurous travelers will be treated to an amazing view thanks to the cable car which starts from the village of St. Leonhard and goes all the way up to the Geiereck spur, spanning a distance of 2.5 kilometers.
There are two legends about Mt. Untersberg. According to one story, Emperor Frederick Barbarossa is sleeping inside the mountain, until the day of his resurrection. His beard is constantly growing and is wound around a table and the day it winds thrice will signify the end of the world. When the Emperor finally leaves the mountain, the last battle of humankind will be fought. The other story says another being lives inside, being tended to by small dwarf like creatures, and wakes every hundred years. There are also many fables centered on the mysterious cave system, located below the mountain.
The system of cable cars that transport people up Untersberg are called the Untersbergbahn was created at the beginning of the 20th century. Fully operational by 1961, the largest distance from the ground is 286 meters and is famous for the breath taking views it offers. If you visit during winter, you’ll be treated to the contrasting sight of green, fresh low grounds and white, snow covered mountain. Besides the cable cars, there are a variety of snow sports you can take part in if the weather is right, including skiing, climbing, paragliding, mountaineering, snowboarding and snowshoeing, and you can explore the ice cave. Purchasing a Salzburg card, which includes bus fare and the Untersberg ticket, has a number of advantages attached, such as free beer tasting and the Steigl brewery and free entry to certain museums as well as numerous other discounts. The height can be a little dizzying but the stunning and wondrous, snowy scenery is well worth it. There’s a café at the top and travelers can trudge up through the snow to grab a hot meal and a warm drink as a reward.
Untersberg Travel Tips
- Try to go onto the cable cars during a clear day, so that your vision isn’t obscured.
- Wear the correct attire as you’ll have to trudge through snow once you’re at the top.
- You can go explore the ice cave, go hiking and choose from a variety of snow sports.
- Dress appropriately.
- Be careful with your camera.
- The fare is quite steep without purchasing a Salzburg card, so be sure to buy one for the best value.
- Recommendations: There are numerous mountain lodges and restaurants atop the mountain.
- There are numerous sports to choose from, specifically Climbing, Paragliding, Mountaineering, Ski and Snowboarding and Snowshoeing, call them for more details.
Entrance Ticket Details For Untersberg
- Entry is free.
- Cable car charges applicable.
- Ascent and descent (Adults): 23 Euros
- Children (6-14 years): 11 Euros
- Students (up to 26 years, with student card): 15 Euros
- Dogs (muzzle): 7.50 Euros
- For other detailed rates please refer official website.
Cable car hours:
- January, February: 9:00 am-4:00 pm
- March-June: 8:30 am-5:00 pm
- July-September: 8:30 am-5:30 pm
- October-November 1: 8:30 am-5:00 pm
- December 8, 2016-February 28, 2017: 9:00 am-4:00 pm
- December 24: 9:00 am-12:00 pm
- Closed: April 11-June 24, November 2-December 7
- Last descent 30 minutes before closing.
How to Reach Untersberg
- Easy to get to the base spot where the cable car leaves by bus.
- There are cafes on top.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Salzburg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Salzburg and book an accommodation of your choice.
58.66% of people who visit Salzburg include Untersberg in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
37.68% of people start their Untersberg visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
2 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 2 Hrs 30 Minutes to see Untersberg
68.86% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Untersberg
Untersberg Reviews & Ratings
Untersberg's cable car always close from 11-Apr-June every year?Answer Report Abuse
Yes, the cable car is closed from 11-Apr-June every year. However, it is always a good idea to call and check with them before you plan a visit. Untersberg contact number is 43-624672477.Report Abuse