- Address: Untersberg, Salzburg, Austria
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +43-624672477
- Ticket Price: 21 EUR
- Time Required: 02:30 Hrs
- Tags: Mountain, Family And Kids, Adventure, Cable Car
Untersberg - Review
Standing at 6,473 feet above ground, the Untersberg is not for the faint of heart! One of the peaks of the Berchtesgarden Alps, this prominent northern massif straddles the border between Salzburg and Germany. The beautiful city of Salzburg lies just 16 kilometers away, connected by a bus route. Adventurous travelers will be treated to an amazing view thanks to the cable car which starts from the village of St. Leonhard and goes all the way up to the Geiereck spur, spanning a distance of 2.5 kilometers.
There are two legends about Mt. Untersberg. According to one story, Emperor Frederick Barbarossa is sleeping inside the mountain, until the day of his resurrection. His beard is constantly growing and is wound around a table and the day it winds thrice will signify the end of the world. When the Emperor finally leaves the mountain, the last battle of humankind will be fought. The other story says another being lives inside, being tended to by small dwarf like creatures, and wakes every hundred years. There are also many fables centered on the mysterious cave system, located below the mountain.
The system of cable cars that transport people up Untersberg are called the Untersbergbahn was created at the beginning of the 20th century. Fully operational by 1961, the largest distance from the ground is 286 meters and is famous for the breath taking views it offers. If you visit during winter, you’ll be treated to the contrasting sight of green, fresh low grounds and white, snow covered mountain. Besides the cable cars, there are a variety of snow sports you can take part in if the weather is right, including skiing, climbing, paragliding, mountaineering, snowboarding and snowshoeing, and you can explore the ice cave. Purchasing a Salzburg card, which includes bus fare and the Untersberg ticket, has a number of advantages attached, such as free beer tasting and the Steigl brewery and free entry to certain museums as well as numerous other discounts. The height can be a little dizzying but the stunning and wondrous, snowy scenery is well worth it. There’s a café at the top and travelers can trudge up through the snow to grab a hot meal and a warm drink as a reward.
- Try to go onto the cable cars during a clear day, so that your vision isn’t obscured.
- Wear the correct attire as you’ll have to trudge through snow once you’re at the top.
- You can go explore the ice cave, go hiking and choose from a variety of snow sports.
- Dress appropriately.
- Be careful with your camera.
- The fare is quite steep without purchasing a Salzburg card, so be sure to buy one for the best value.
- Recommendations: There are numerous mountain lodges and restaurants atop the mountain.
- There are numerous sports to choose from, specifically Climbing, Paragliding, Mountaineering, Ski and Snowboarding and Snowshoeing, call them for more details.
Untersberg Ticket Prices
- Entry is free.
- Cable car charges applicable.
- Ascent and descent (Adults): 23 Euros
- Children (6-14 years): 11 Euros
- Students (up to 26 years, with student card): 15 Euros
- Dogs (muzzle): 7.50 Euros
- For other detailed rates please refer official website.
Untersberg Opening and Closing Hours
Cable car hours:
- January, February: 9:00 am-4:00 pm
- March-June: 8:30 am-5:00 pm
- July-September: 8:30 am-5:30 pm
- October-November 1: 8:30 am-5:00 pm
- December 8, 2016-February 28, 2017: 9:00 am-4:00 pm
- December 24: 9:00 am-12:00 pm
- Closed: April 11-June 24, November 2-December 7
- Last descent 30 minutes before closing.
How To reach Untersberg by Public Transport
- Easy to get to the base spot where the cable car leaves by bus.
Restaurants Near Untersberg
- There are cafes on top.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Salzburg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Salzburg and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Untersberg
95% of people who visit Salzburg include Untersberg in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
27.37% of people start their Untersberg visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
2 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 2 Hrs 30 Minutes to see Untersberg
63.36% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Untersberg
1 View12 Days 11 NightsTrip to Prague, Vienna, Sofia, Ljubljana, BelgradeBy: Guest UserCity: Kavala, Sofia, Belgrade, Zagreb, Ljubljana, Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Budapest, Sibiu
Untersberg, Salzburg Reviews
The mountain itself is beautiful and the view there is fantastic, but if you have been to the Alps area, you kind of get used to it. 2 stars for the view and that’s it, because I had to wait for 30 min standing in line to get in a cable! Yes they have a timetable but if there are too many tourists you just have to wait for the next one, which is 30min later.
This was the last thing we did using our Salzburg Card and it was the most incredible. Do not miss this opportunity for anything. Having travelled across the Himalayas and the Atlas Mountains previously, I can say that this was every bit as breathtaking even on a cloudy day. There is a 30 minute walk at the top which you can do for further viewing but if you want to you can stay near the cable car and enjoy a beer and a meal without exertion. Unforgettable!
This was one of my favorite stops while visiting Salzburg. Very easy hike once you've ridden the cable car to the top. There's also a place to grab a drink! It's available with the Salzburg card which I definitely recommend!
Was absolutely SPECTACULAR! Worth every single penny. If you are in or near the Salzburg area whether it be for travel or you live there I strongly recommend you take a day to do this and see the breathtaking views!
The view is simply amazing. There are places to eat at the top of the mountain. There is also a bus that runs every 20 minutes from Hauptbahnhof (Central Train Station) to here and takes about 30 minutes. This is a must if you are in Salzburg!
- Unhinged Gallery
- The Solutions Consultancy Europe
- Moorfields Station
- St Bridget's C Of E Church
- Ringo's Birthplace
- DROP The Dumbulls Gallery
- Bishop Of Liverpool
- Pentecost Baptist Church
- Spellow Community Library
- H. & D.T. Miller Limited
- St Mary C Of E Church
- Metropolitan Cathedral Of Christ The King
- Fantasize Events Limited
- Liverpool Yemeni Arabic Club