- Address: Untersberg, Salzburg, Austria
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +43-624672477
- Ticket Price: 21 EUR
- Time Required: 02:30 Hrs
- Tags: Mountain, Family And Kids, Adventure, Cable Car
Untersberg - Review
Standing at 6,473 feet above ground, the Untersberg is not for the faint of heart! One of the peaks of the Berchtesgarden Alps, this prominent northern massif straddles the border between Salzburg and Germany. The beautiful city of Salzburg lies just 16 kilometers away, connected by a bus route. Adventurous travelers will be treated to an amazing view thanks to the cable car which starts from the village of St. Leonhard and goes all the way up to the Geiereck spur, spanning a distance of 2.5 kilometers.
There are two legends about Mt. Untersberg. According to one story, Emperor Frederick Barbarossa is sleeping inside the mountain, until the day of his resurrection. His beard is constantly growing and is wound around a table and the day it winds thrice will signify the end of the world. When the Emperor finally leaves the mountain, the last battle of humankind will be fought. The other story says another being lives inside, being tended to by small dwarf like creatures, and wakes every hundred years. There are also many fables centered on the mysterious cave system, located below the mountain.
The system of cable cars that transport people up Untersberg are called the Untersbergbahn was created at the beginning of the 20th century. Fully operational by 1961, the largest distance from the ground is 286 meters and is famous for the breath taking views it offers. If you visit during winter, you’ll be treated to the contrasting sight of green, fresh low grounds and white, snow covered mountain. Besides the cable cars, there are a variety of snow sports you can take part in if the weather is right, including skiing, climbing, paragliding, mountaineering, snowboarding and snowshoeing, and you can explore the ice cave. Purchasing a Salzburg card, which includes bus fare and the Untersberg ticket, has a number of advantages attached, such as free beer tasting and the Steigl brewery and free entry to certain museums as well as numerous other discounts. The height can be a little dizzying but the stunning and wondrous, snowy scenery is well worth it. There’s a café at the top and travelers can trudge up through the snow to grab a hot meal and a warm drink as a reward.
- Try to go onto the cable cars during a clear day, so that your vision isn’t obscured.
- Wear the correct attire as you’ll have to trudge through snow once you’re at the top.
- You can go explore the ice cave, go hiking and choose from a variety of snow sports.
- Dress appropriately.
- Be careful with your camera.
- The fare is quite steep without purchasing a Salzburg card, so be sure to buy one for the best value.
- Recommendations: There are numerous mountain lodges and restaurants atop the mountain.
- There are numerous sports to choose from, specifically Climbing, Paragliding, Mountaineering, Ski and Snowboarding and Snowshoeing, call them for more details.
Untersberg Ticket Prices
- Entry is free.
- Cable car charges applicable.
- Ascent and descent (Adults): 23 Euros
- Children (6-14 years): 11 Euros
- Students (up to 26 years, with student card): 15 Euros
- Dogs (muzzle): 7.50 Euros
- For other detailed rates please refer official website.
Cable car hours:
- January, February: 9:00 am-4:00 pm
- March-June: 8:30 am-5:00 pm
- July-September: 8:30 am-5:30 pm
- October-November 1: 8:30 am-5:00 pm
- December 8, 2016-February 28, 2017: 9:00 am-4:00 pm
- December 24: 9:00 am-12:00 pm
- Closed: April 11-June 24, November 2-December 7
- Last descent 30 minutes before closing.
How To reach Untersberg by Public Transport
- Easy to get to the base spot where the cable car leaves by bus.
Restaurants Near Untersberg
- There are cafes on top.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Salzburg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Salzburg and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Untersberg
68.7% of people who visit Salzburg include Untersberg in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
37.68% of people start their Untersberg visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
2 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 2 Hrs 30 Minutes to see Untersberg
68.86% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Untersberg
3 Views17 Days 16 Nights16 Day Trip to London, Vienna, Munich, Salzburg from SeattleBy: Published PrivatelyCity: London, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich
1 View17 Days 16 Nights17 Day Trip to Salzburg, Vienna, Zurich, Paris from MunichBy: Published PrivatelyCity: Salzburg, Vienna, Zurich, Paris
Untersberg, Salzburg Reviews
Absolutely sensational. First cable car up on clear warm day decided to hike the loop to Toni linz hut then back up via zipper?? Hut. Views and steep parts were breathtaking in all respects but worth the 5 hr effort. Great food and cold beverages at both places and not crowded. Don't try this unless you are fit and not afraid of heights
Awesome place to visit. A must go for everyone. You get a very beautiful view of the entire valley. The cable takes you to the height of 1700 meters approx. We bought the Salzburg Card (€28) and use that to Travel on cable car otherwise the ticket of the cable car is very expensive. The experience and view that you get during the cable transfer cannot be explained on words.
Went there on a cloudy day and was told not to waste my money which is rare honesty from a business. Anyway, the next day clouds cleared, we went back and had some amazing views. You are packed like sardines but thankfully the ride is quick and you get beautiful vistas at the top.
جميل جداً والاطلالة حلوة وفيه مطعم فوق. عربات التلفريك مافيها كراسي وتشيل عدد كبير. الارتفاع مررة عاالي. بتقضي فيه ساعة او ساعتين باستمتاع تقدر تتمشى في الجبل وفيه قمة ثانية تروح لها مشي اذا تبغى. رحته تقريباً منتصف اكتوبر ولاكان فيه ثلج في الاعلى. يستاهل الزيارة وانصح فيه وبقوة. اضن الدخول كان مجاني ببطايق المدينه السياحية او ان السعر كان رمزي جداً. عيبه انه بعيد شوي عن باقي الانشطه الي في سالزبورغ.
We have been up there multiple times and we love the view out of the cable railway. On top of the Untersberg you have multiple options to wander, rest and enjoy the sight or even just sit and enjoy a picnic. Check the weather conditions to be prepared. The differences between ground and 1800m could be extreme.