Visit San Diego - Best of San Diego
San Diego is a pleasant and extravagant coastal city located on the Pacific Ocean in Southern California. Known for its mild and pleasant annual climate, natural harbours and beautiful beaches, the city has been a witness to a vibrant history. The original inhabitants of the area were the Kumeyaay people. The first European to visit the area was a Portuguese-born explorer Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo, who claimed the entire San Diego bay area for Spain in the year 1542. In the year 1821, Mexico won its independence from Spain, and San Diego became part of the Mexican territory. This was followed by the United States going to war against Mexico in the year 1846, which resulted in the signing of the Treaty of Cahuenga. Consequently, the state of California was admitted to the United States in 1850. That same year San Diego was designated the seat of the newly established San Diego County and was incorporated as a city. Today, the city is home to attractions like Legoland, the New Children's Museum, and the famous San Diego Zoo, making it one of the most Family Friendly American Cities. San Diego is one of the major tourism destinations in the world boasting an ideal climate, bio and communications technologies, long history, vibrant nightlife, outdoor cultures, ethnic diversities, pristine beaches, deep water harbours, brilliant cuisine, artisanal breweries, enchanting amusement parks, exciting museums and galleries, hypermodern architecture, numerous attractions, sights and a slow soothing atmosphere, that makes it a perfect getaway destination from the bustling and chaotic city life.
San Diego Travel Tips
Essential travel information and San Diego tips for your visit
- Seattle Time Zone: Pacific Time Zone (UTC-08:00)
- Currency: United States Dollar
- Electricity: US uses 110 Volts, 60 Hz alternating current as power. Plug sockets have ungrounded 2 pin connections (Type A) and grounded 3 pin connections (Type B)
- Languages: Majority of the people in United States speak English.
- Internet: 3G, 4G and Wi-Fi connections are available in almost every hotel in the city. The city also has public Wi-Fi in some areas.
- Security: Police: 911, Ambulance: 911
- Tipping – Tipping in America is a thanking gesture. Tipping is not mandatory, however if your wish to tip, one can tip atleast 15% at a restaurant, $2 per bag to porters at hotels and $3-5 for valet services.
- Smoking is prohibited in all public buildings and enclosed places. It is also illegal to smoke within 20 feet of doorways or windows of government buildings.
- Major attractions and parks have public restrooms. In downtown San Diego, most hotels and restaurants will let you use their restrooms.
- Alcohol is no longer allowed on the beaches. Make sure to not carry alcohol to beaches.
- Glass containers are not allowed at the beach.
- Overnight camping and sleeping at the beach are strictly prohibited.
- Major beaches separate surf zones from swim zones with a large black and yellow checker flag. Don’t get caught in the wrong zone.
- Jumping from cliffs higher than 5 feet into the Pacific Ocean is not allowed.
- Beware of where you park - check the parking lot, curbs, and signs in the area. Most parking meters are off after 6pm, and all day Sunday & holidays.
Are you looking for a San Diego travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
San Diego Tourist Information
- Parks And Gardens
- Amusement Parks
- Bowling Spots
- Casinos And Gaming
- Dog Parks
- Convenience Stores
- Internet Cafes
- Burger Shops
- Chinese Restaurants
- Fast Foods
- Italian Restaurants
- Mexican Restaurants
- Pizza Shops
- Thai Restaurants
- Vegan Restaurants
- Food Trucks
- Gas Stations
- Bus Stations
- Rail Stations
San Diego Itineraries
San Diego Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of San Diego
Save 1%Open Cockpit Biplane Sightseeing Ride in San Diego64 Reviews
Duration: 1 Hrs
Take a thrilling ride over San Diego in a classic 1920s open cockpit biplane. Choose from a variety of itineraries covering t...
Save 9%Skip the Line: USS Midway Museum401 Reviews
Experience life at sea without leaving port by visiting the USS Midway Museum, San Diego's newest visitor attraction. A visit...
Save 7%Viator Exclusive: San Diego Luxury Dinner Cruise with Window Seating and Champagne55 Reviews
Duration: 3 Hrs
Soak up the San Diego skyline in luxury and style on this relaxing dinner cruise, a Viator Exclusive that cant be booked anyw...
Save 7%Baja California Coastal Day Trip from San Diego40 Reviews
Duration: 9 Hrs
Explore some of Baja California's top destinations on this day trip from San Diego. This relaxing, scenic getaway takes you a...
Popular Hotels in San DiegoView all Hotels in San Diego
More about San Diego
6 Spectacular Concert Venues Around The WorldIncredible concert venues: Music lovers pack your bags and visit some incredible music concerts to refresh your mood.
11 Of The Best Beaches In Southern CaliforniaThough USA has no dearth of excellent beaches, there are some that are exceptionally rad! So here's a list of some of the best beaches in Southern California!
Best Places to Visit in USA in February 2019Looking to enjoy the warm winter? Take a look at our list of the best places to visit in USA in February, and plan today!
Facts and Stats for San Diego*
Pollution Statistics in San Diego
Know the pollution level of San Diego before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 22.69 (Low)
Water Pollution 55.98 (Moderate)
Noise and Light Pollution 44.68 (Moderate)
Unattended dirt and garbage 28.73 (Low)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 35.56 (Low)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 17.02 (Very Low)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 18.14 (Very Low)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 23.37 (Low)
San Diego: Crime and Safety
How safe is San Diego for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in San Diego.
Burglary and Theft 30.56 (Low)
Mugging and Robbery 26.69 (Low)
Assault and Armed Robbery 28.37 (Low)
Corruption and Bribery 36.08 (Low)
Car Stealing 32.3 (Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 42.22 (Moderate)
Attacks 25.83 (Low)
Drug offense 47.5 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during daylight 88.33 (Very High)
Safety walking alone during night 57.5 (Moderate)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 26.67 (Low)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 15.56 (Very Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 42.13 (Moderate)
Living in San Diego - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of San Diego is 196.44 (Very High)
Safety Index 67.37 (High)
Climate Index 97.08 (Very High)
Pollution Index 33.93 (Low)
Traffic Commute Time Index 38.41 (Moderate)
Cost of Living Index 72.6 (Moderate)
Health Care Index 72.97 (High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 5.99 (Low)
Purchasing Power Index 140.7 (Very High)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in San Diego
Here's how much it will cost to shop in San Diego
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.11 USD
International Movie per seat 14 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 33.48 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 78.41 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 46.73 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.