Border Field State Park, San DiegoCurrently Open [Closes at 06:00 pm]
- Address: 1500 Monument Rd, San Diego, CA 92154, United States
- Timings: 09:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-6195753613
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Park, Walking Area, Monument, Family And Kids
About Border Field State Park, San Diego
There are many reasons this isn't a standard park. For one, much of it overlaps with the Tijuana River National Estuarine Research Reserve, which is uber rich with wildlife, especially birds. Next, it is the southwestern most point of the contiguous United States. And lastly, that also means it borders Mexico. If you park and keep heading east on foot, eventually you'll reach the beach. Walk south for a little over a mile to see Monument No. 258, also known as Monument Mesa. It is an obelisk, 20 feet high, and it marks the boundary between the two countries.
Border Field State Park Information
- There are restrooms, picnic areas and BBQ spots at the park.
- Do not collect anything from the park.
- Leashed dogs are allowed at Monument Mesa picnic area.
- Park will be closed if flooded.
Border Field State Park Opening and Closing Hours
- Closed to vehicles Monday - Friday.
- Day after Labor Day - October: 9:30am to 6:00pm.
- March 15 - Day before Memorial Day Weekend: 9:30am to 6:00pm.
- Memorial Day Weekend – Labor Day: 9:30am to 7:00pm.
How To reach Border Field State Park by Public Transport
- Drive to Hollister Street, then head into Monument Road.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in San Diego before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in San Diego and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Border Field State Park
0.94% of people who visit San Diego include Border Field State Park in their plan
43.4% of people start their Border Field State Park visit around 10 AM
2 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 2 Hrs 30 Minutes to see Border Field State Park
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Border Field State Park
Border Field State Park, San Diego Reviews
Quite a touristic place. The trails South to the parking lot are prohibited unless you don't mind a little excitement like me. Border Patrol will stop you all of the time but gently ask you to keep moving because of motorcycle activity and patrolling. The 2 mile walk to the park is a must to enjoy the full experience. Like always when walking trails take some food and water and enjoy your stepping. 👍
Every time I go to the border at the beach. It just makes me think a lot. We share the same sky. Don't we? We are all humans under the same sky. I believe we can all live in peace. No more borders.
Beautiful natural preserve. We went on a guided horseback riding tour right to the water. Views of San Diego and Tijuana are visible from different parts of the trail. Laid back atmosphere! Loved it!!!
I was there very early, it was a bit scary not knowing what I was getting into. "The stories" you hear.. A lot of areas were flooded so had to figure that out. It was so symbolic to feel that fence and see the human's on other side we separate from our life's because of year's of "other people's" ruling.
Love the binational family reunion they have every month or so from both sides Tijuana and Emperial Beach side.
All QuestionsBorder field state park
- Attractions near Border Field State Park
- Coronado Island
- Old Point Loma Lighthouse And Cabrillo National Monument
- Point Loma Tide Pools
- Navy Lodge
- Shelter Island
- Gaslamp Quarter Historical Foundation
- Mormon Battalion Historic Site
- Old Town San Diego State Historic Park
- Wells Fargo History Museum
- Valley View Casino Center