Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery2318 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 1800 Cabrillo Memorial Drive, San Diego, CA 92106, United States
- Timings: 08:00 am - 04:30 pm Details
- Phone: +1-6195532084
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Historical Site, Cemetery
The Fort Rosecrans is not the kind of popular tourist site that one would normally visit. It is a solemn and important historic place for San Diego. This old cememtery has always been a part of the heritage of the city and history has only added to its significance.
Besides the graves of several locals from the earlier days, the cemetery also houses the graves of several veterans from both the tragic world wars. There are also several monuments dedicated to those who had lost their lives during the wars. Memorial Day which is an important holiday in the US is often celebrated here to offer homage to those who had lost their lives for the country. The Memorial Day celebrations are very stoic and sombre in nature.
The sprawling cemetery also overlooks the part of the sea which houses the USS Midday Aircraft carrier. Looking at the graves of the soldiers and the ship together is a surreal and poetic sight.
Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery Travel Tips
- On Saturdays and Sundays the cemetery’s visiting hours are from 9:30am to 5:00pm.
- Suitable time to visit: 03:00pm to 05:00pm
- Guns and weapons in any form are not allowed.
- Pets are not permitted, except the service animals.
- Biking, jogging, picnicking or any kind of sports activities are not allowed.
- Avoid littering in the park.
- Unauthorized gathering are not encouraged.
Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery Hours
- The cemetery is closed on federal holidays except Memorial Day and Veterans Day.
How to Reach Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery
- Cabrillo Memorial Drive
- Subway, Kona Kai Restaurant, Fathom Bistro
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in San Diego before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in San Diego and book an accommodation of your choice.
26.35% of people who visit San Diego include Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
61.98% of people start their Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery