How to Reach San Diego, California
The Easiest Way to Reach San Diego
- By Air: San Diego is served by the San Diego International Airport and is remarkably close to the downtown. From the airport, numerous options like taxis, busses, self-drive cars are available to get to the downtown.
- By Train: The primary railway lines in San Diego are Amtrak, which operates from the historic Santa Fe Depot which is within a walking distance of downtown hotels and situated near San Diego Bay. The other rail service in San Diego is the COASTER which is a local commuter train.
- By Car: San Diego is easily accessible by car using any one of the three major interstate roadways, the 5, 8, and 15 Freeways.
- By Bus: Unfortunately, there is no central bus terminal in San Diego. Different companies operate in the city, with each having a different station all over the city. The major bus operators include Hoang Express, InterCalifornias, LuxBus, Mexicoach, Greyhound, and the Crucero USA.
- By Car: San Diego is a sprawling metropolis and the most efficient way to get around the city is by car. All the major rental car companies operate at the San Diego Airport
- By Bus: Bus service in a large portion of the county is operated by the Metropolitan Transit System (MTS). The frequency of busses is 15 to 30 minutes and they run between downtown San Diego and a number of tourist-oriented destinations.
- Trolley: The San Diego Trolley is a light rail system operated by the MTS. The rail serves mostly tourists and residents located in the southern and eastern side of the city. The rail runs south till downtown with one way fares ranging from $1.25 to $3 depending upon the distance you covered. The tuckets can be purchased from the vending machines at the stations. Day passes to the trolleys are also available.
- By Bike: Bikes are extremely popular in San Diego and the city is ideal for bike riding and exploration. A bicycle is easily available on rent along with bicycle maps indicating the main attractions and the routes to those attractions.
Explore the route planner online for your visit to San Diego and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Modes of Transportation in San Diego
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in San Diego. The most preferred mode of transport in San Diego is Car.
Average distance: 26.23 km Average time: 39.22 min
Car 83.1%Driving 31.78 min Walking 0.24 min Overall average time for 26.08 kms 32.02 min
Bus/Trolleybus 2.82%Bus 72.5 min Waiting 37.5 min Walking 12.5 min Overall average time for 40.23 kms 122.5 min
Walking 4.23%Walking 80 min Driving 28.33 min Overall average time for 12.34 kms 108.33 min
Train/Metro 1.41%Train 90 min Overall average time for 48.28 kms 90 min
- How to Reach Cities Near San Diego
- How to reach Carlsbad
- How to reach Palm Springs
- How to reach Anaheim
- How to reach Long Beach
- How to reach Joshua Tree National Park
- How to reach Los Angeles
- How to reach Santa Monica
- How to reach Malibu
- How to reach Ojai
- How to Reach Top Cities in United States
- How to reach Miami
- How to reach New York City
- How to reach Chicago
- How to reach Las Vegas
- How to reach San Francisco
- How to reach Seattle
- How to reach West Bend
- How to reach Placerville
- How to reach Schertz
- How to Reach Cities Around the World
- How to reach Paris
- How to reach Prague
- How to reach Rome
- How to reach Rio De Janeiro
- How to reach London
- How to reach Barcelona
- How to reach Lincoln
- How to reach Virginia Beach
- How to reach Bloomfield Hills