San Diego Model Railroad Museum138 Votes Currently Open [Closes at 04:00 pm]
- Address: Balboa Park, 1649 El Prado, San Diego, CA 92101, 92101, United States
- Timings: 10:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-6196960199
- Ticket Price: 11 USD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Museums, Social, Arts
This is one of the largest indoor model railroad exhibits in the world. Manage by four local railroad clubs, there are five main exhibits.
- Cabrillo & Southwestern - Route from San Diego to Sacramento.
- Pacific Desert Lines - Represents 33 miles worth of track that was never built, scaled down to 331 metres.
- San Diego & Arizona Eastern RR - Prototype San Diego and Arizona Eastern Railway line from San Diego to El Centro.
- Tehachapi Pass - A highly detailed model of the Southern Pacific / Santa Fe railroad from Bakersfield to Mojave.
- Toy Train Gallery
- Centennial Railway Garden - Scaled light rail street cars amongst Spanish Colonial architecture.
Needless to say, train lovers and kids love this place. The models are scarily immersive and you could spend hours picking out individual details.
Entrance Ticket Details For San Diego Model Railroad Museum
- Seniors (65+): $8.00
- Students (with ID): $5.00
- Military (with ID): $6.00
- Children (Age 6-14): $4.00
San Diego Model Railroad Museum Hours
- Holiday Times (New Year's Day, Martin Luther King, Jr., President's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day): 11:00 am - 4:00 pm.
How to Reach San Diego Model Railroad Museum
- Bus 7 stop Park Bl & Village Pl
- By Bus.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in San Diego before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in San Diego and book an accommodation of your choice.
1.63% of people who visit San Diego include San Diego Model Railroad Museum in their plan
84.21% of people start their San Diego Model Railroad Museum visit around 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see San Diego Model Railroad Museum
88.89% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting San Diego Model Railroad Museum
San Diego Model Railroad Museum Reviews & Ratings
The San Diego Model Railroad Museum is the only American Alliance of Museums accredited model railroad museum in North America, and with 27,000 square feet of property, it is also one of the largest. Its mission is to preserve the heritage of railroading through a series of miniature representations of California railroads, as well as research and preserve the history of model railroading. The museum also strives to educate the public about the history and aspects of railroading while actively engaging all kinds of people in learning about the art of model railroading and the history of railroads. It is also home to pieces from the original display of the historic miniature replica of the AT&SF railroad system in the Ford Building, built by legendary model railroader Minton Cronkite for the 1935 California Pacific International Exposition.
One of San Diego's best highlights. Even if you aren't a big railroad person it is interesting. The model trains are very interesting and the attention to detail is impressive. Worth 90 minutes of your time. Just sit and watch the models.
What an amazing place! Passionate staff and club members. They've put alot of time and skill the layouts at the museum. I have been there twice and enjoyed it both times!
We love going here. My four year old begs to come. Everyone is so kind and there's a fun kids area for them to play in
Tim was so informative and graciously gave us a behind the scenes tour! It's amazing the attention to detail that goes into this craft. Definitely worth the visit.