San Diego Model Railroad Museum, San Diego
About San Diego Model Railroad Museum, San Diego
San Diego Model Railroad Museum, San Diego - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: Balboa Park, 1649 El Prado, San Diego, CA 92101
Ticket Price: 11 USD
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
Added 874 times in trip plans
Museum, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
This is one of the largest indoor model railroad exhibits in the world. Manage by four local railroad clubs, there are five main exhibits.
- Cabrillo & Southwestern - Route from San Diego to Sacramento.
- Pacific Desert Lines - Represents 33 miles worth of track that was never built, scaled down to 331 metres.
- San Diego & Arizona Eastern RR - Prototype San Diego and Arizona Eastern Railway line from San Diego to El Centro.
- Tehachapi Pass - A highly detailed model of the Southern Pacific / Santa Fe railroad from Bakersfield to Mojave.
- Toy Train Gallery
- Centennial Railway Garden - Scaled light rail street cars amongst Spanish Colonial architecture.
Needless to say, train lovers and kids love this place. The models are scarily immersive and you could spend hours picking out individual details.
San Diego Model Railroad Museum Ticket Prices
- Seniors (65+): $8.00
- Students (with ID): $5.00
- Military (with ID): $6.00
- Children (Age 6-14): $4.00
San Diego Model Railroad Museum Opening and Closing Hours
- Holiday Times (New Year's Day, Martin Luther King, Jr., President's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day): 11:00 am - 4:00 pm.
How To reach San Diego Model Railroad Museum by Public Transport
- Bus 7 stop Park Bl & Village Pl
- By Bus.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in San Diego before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in San Diego and book an accommodation of your choice.
San Diego Model Railroad Museum, San Diego Reviews - Write a Review
I'm not a model train enthusiast, by any means, but I still enjoyed this place. The displays are massive and you can see the new stuff being built by hand upstairs. They had a ton of models running on beautifully crafted landscapes. Views could be a bit better, but I think this is a fun way to kill some time.
Excellent display - I loved it - but even my wife who initially was only mildly interested was fascinated by the beautiful dioramas and intricate details. She thought it was the best museum in the park. High praise indeed. :) Mary & Chris Colvin, British Columbia, Canada
An awesome, awesome place! Definitely a "museum" to check out if you have any interest in model trains. There's a "toy trains" section that's almost magical with all the trains and the incredible dioramas they've created.
Beautiful museum. One can spend 2 hours here. They have different exhibits for different types of train tracks. My toddler loves Thomas and the friends exhibition. Staff was friendly and answered the questions. And museum visit is free for San Diego county residents on first Tuesday of the month.
I never knew this place existed, took my two year old and he was absolutely fascinated! I enjoyed it as well. If you're into this kind of thing you could probably spend the whole day here. But a good way to kill an hour or two otherwise.
- Nearby Attractions
- Gaslamp Quarter Historical Foundation
- Museum Of Photographic Arts
- Horton Grand Theatre
- Wells Fargo History Museum
- Alcazar Garden
- Desert Garden
- Presidio Park
- San Diego History Center
- Immaculate Conception Catholic Church
- Modern Times Beer
- San Diego Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in San Diego
- What to See in 48 Hours in San Diego
- What to See in 72 Hours in San Diego
- How to Spend 5 Days in San Diego
- How to Spend 6 Days in San Diego
- How to Spend 7 Days in San Diego