Uss Midway Museum5342 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 910 N Harbor Dr, San Diego, CA 92101, United States, 92101
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-6195449600
- Fax: +1-6195449188
- Ticket Price: 20 USD
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: History Museums, Specialty Museums, Social, Arts, Museums, Landmarks
The USS Midway Museum is a maritime museum and one of the top attractions of San Diego. Located in downtown San Diego at the Navy Pier, this midway museum is set aboard the aircraft carrier Midway - an aircraft carrier of the United States Navy and the longest-serving aircraft carrier of the 20th century.
USS Midway Museum San Diego opened to public on 7 June 2004 and is today the most popular naval warship museum in the United States. A family friendly attraction in San Diego, this museum offers a range of interactive exhibits, a self-guided audio tour, and numerous restored aircraft for its visitors to explore.
Museum Exhibits and Activities -
Midway has over 60 exhibits and 29 restored aircraft for you to explore.
Exhibits at Midway include -
Hanger Deck -
This includes interactive displays of the Battle of Midway, the Bird Dog light plane, a World War II era R-2800 Twin Wasp engine, World War II aircraft, sailor bunks, anchor chain rooms, Command Information Centre (CIC), Carrier Air Group (CAG), and helicopter history exhibit.
Flight Deck -
Check out the 26 skilfully restored carrier aircraft including the jet fighters, attack aircraft, helicopters, and specialist designs, Meatball Exhibit explaining how this special light rig helps pilots, Pilot Ready Rooms, Ship’s Island/Bridge, Captain's and Admirals Country, and so much more.
Below Deck -
Explore the ship’s chow line, Midway chapel, wardroom, sick/dental bay, and engineering deck of the USS Midway.
Aircraft Gallery -
The museum features more than 30 restored jet planes, propeller aircraft, and helicopters. A few of these include:
- Jet planes like Korean War’s F9F Panther, the Vietnam War’s A-4 Skyhawk, F-8 Crusader, F-4 Phantom, A-6 Intruder, Cold War’s F-14 Tomcat, S-3 Viking, F9F-8P Cougar, RA-5 Vigilante, EKA-3 Skywarrior, T-2 Buckeye, and the EA-6B Prowler.
- Piston-engine warplanes like the F4F Wildcat, SBD Dauntless, TBM Avenger, F4U Corsair, and A-1 Skyraider.
- Seaborne helicopters like HUP Retriever, SH-34 Seabat, SH-2 Seasprite, SH-3 Sea King, HH-46 Sea Knight, and the versatile SH-60 Seahawk.
Activities at Midway include -
- A 15-minute immersive film of the Battle of Midway called “Voices of Midway”
- Flight simulators for all ages like the pulse-pounding Air Combat 360 and F/18 byFlight Avionics
- Guided island tour by Midway’s world-class volunteer Docents
- A junior pilot program for your young ones
- Catapult & Trap Talks to learn how aircraft landed and took off from carrier decks
Special military events and ceremonies can be attended on the Midway. You can also book the venue to host your own event.
Self-guided audio tours -
Your museum ticket includes a self-guided audio tour which can be completed over the span of 2 to 4 hours. These tours are split in three sections - Flight Deck, Hanger Deck, and Below Deck. These tours are available in English, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, German, and French.
Midway offers an array of education programs for schools with its onboard in state-of-the-art education facilities, overnight adventure where you can spend a night on the longest-serving aircraft carrier in Naval history, youth programs like Boy Scouts of America (BSA) and Girl Scouts of America (GSA)
Cafe & Gift Shop -
The museum’s Fantail Café is located on the Hangar Deck and offers snacks, sandwiches, and Starbucks coffee.
The Midway’s gift shop is a great place to buy U.S. Navy and USS Midway apparel, historic and children’s books, San Diego souvenirs, and USS Midway memorabilia.
Docent Tour -
Enjoy a private Docent-led tour to ship like never before. Led by Midway volunteers, these tours can be altered as per your time and convenience. Also enjoy “Voices of Midway” film at the end of the tour. Taking a USS Midway Museum tour is highly recommended.
Uss Midway Museum Travel Tips
- The USS Midway is docked on the San Diego waterfront between the voyage boat terminal and Seaport Village.
- USS midway museum parking is available on Navy Pier.
- 60 percent of the Museum’s exhibits are wheelchair accessible.
- An American Sign Language (ASL) tour and written audio tour script is available for people with hearing disabilities.
- Trained service animals are available at the museum.
- Accessibility Video Tour are available at Flight Deck, Hangar Deck and Second Deck.
- The museum’s photo team will help you click a memorable photograph. Choose from various backdrops and take home a beautiful Midway Souvenir Photo.
Entrance Ticket Details For Uss Midway Museum
Uss Midway Museum Online ticket prices -
- Adult (ages 18-61): USD 21
- Senior (ages 62+): USD 18
- Retired Military (w/ID): USD 8
- Student (ages 13-17 or w/College ID): USD 15
- Youth (ages 6-12): USD 8
- Child (Under 5): Free
- Buy online USS midway tickets to save USD 2 per ticket!
- USS midway museum parking costs between $10 - $20.
USS Midway Museum Group Tickets (10 or more) -
- Adult (ages 18-61): USD 18
- Senior (ages 62+): USD 15
- Youth (ages 6-12): USD 8
Private Docent-led tour price -
- Group of 10 or less: USD 320
- Group 11 or more: USD 32 per person
Uss Midway Museum Hours
Midway museum san diego hours -
- Everyday: 10 am – 5 pm
- Last admission at 4 pm
- Close on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day
Private Docent-led tour timing -
- Monday: 9 am- 10 am
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: 9 am – 10 am, 10 am – 11 am, 11 am – 12 pm, 2 pm – 3 pm, 3 pm – 4 pm
- Friday: 9 am – 10 am
- Saturday: 9 am – 10 am
How to Reach Uss Midway Museum
- The USS Midway Museum can easily be reached by train, coaster and trolley. It is located a 5-minute walk away from the Santa Fe Train Depot and MTS trolley station.
- Fantail Cafe, Quality Coast Gourmet Street Kitchen, Bay Cafe
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in San Diego before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in San Diego and book an accommodation of your choice.
58.98% of people who visit San Diego include Uss Midway Museum in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
94.86% of people start their Uss Midway Museum visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Uss Midway Museum
67.24% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Uss Midway Museum