The Alcatraz Island San Francisco is an infamous historical prison island, built in 1868. Alcatraz is located in middle of San Francisco Bay, 1.25 miles offshore from San Francisco, California, United States. Many famous people have been imprisioned here, and it played an important role in American history, so much so that it was declared as a National Historic Landmark. The places of interest on the island in California include the Former Military Chapel, Baker Beach, Building 64, the Boat Dock, the Lighthouse, the Main Lighthouse, the New Industries Building, the Officers Club, the Wardens House, and the Main Cell house.
The Alcatraz San Franciso is also the natural habitat to Californian Slender Salamanders, Black Crowned Herons and Western Gulls. Migratory birds use the numerous cliff tops for the breeding and roosting. Also to see are the historical gardens planted by the family of the resident defence personnel, and especially the almost extinct Welsh Rose.
Streamline your vacation around Alcatraz Island using San Francisco trip planner.
Alcatraz Island Travel Tips
- Ticket prices depend on tour timings and age. It’s more expensive in the night.
- Visitors must reach the island through ferry rides from Pier 33 on Fisherman’s Wharf, operated by Alcatraz Tours.
- Alcatraz Island tours available seasonally.
- Pier 33 to Alcatraz take 10- 15 min from ferry ride.
Alcatraz wheelchair accessible at -
- Alcatraz dock area
- Alcatraz Prison building main floor
- All bookstores
- Island theater
- Alcatraz landing Pier 33
- All Alcatraz Cruises vessels
Entrance Ticket Details For Alcatraz Island
Alcatraz Day Tour Tickets -
- Adult: USD 38
- Senior: USD 35.75
- Child : USD 23.25
Alcatraz Night Tour -
- Adult: USD 45
- Junior: USD 44
- Senior: USD 41.75
- Child: 26.75
Alcatraz Behind the Scenes Tour -
- Adult: USD 90
- Junior: USD 86
- Senior: USD 83.75
Alcatraz Island Hours
- Departure from San Francisco at 9 am
- The Alcatraz ferry runs every 30 to 40 minutes to and from Alcatraz.
- The island closes for the day at 6:30 pm in the summer, 4:30 pm in fall, winter and spring.
- Alcatraz closed on Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Year's day.
- Early Bird tour hours - 8:45 am
Alcatraz Day Tour -
- Summer Hours: 9:10 am, 9:30 am, 10:00 am, 10:30 am, 11:00 am, 11:30 am, 12:00 pm, 12:30 pm, 1:00 pm, 1:30 pm, 2:10 pm, 2:40 pm, 3:20 pm, 3:50 pm
- Winter Hours: 9:10 am, 9:30 am, 10:00 am, 10:30 am, 11:00 am, 11:30 am, 12:00 pm, 12:30 pm, 1:05 pm, 1.35 pm
Alcatraz Night Tour -
- Summer Hours: 5:55 pm, 6:30 pm
- Winter Hours: 3:50 pm, additional time of 4:45 pm may also be available
Behind the Scenes -
- Summer Hours: 4:20 pm, 4:50 pm
- Winter Hours: 2:10 pm, 2:40 pm
How to Reach Alcatraz Island
- Fisherman’s Wharf, San Francisco Bay
- Alioto’s Restaurant
- Kokkari Estiatorio
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in San Francisco before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in San Francisco and book an accommodation of your choice.
90.57% of people who visit San Francisco include Alcatraz Island in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
58.42% of people start their Alcatraz Island visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Alcatraz Island
91.1% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Alcatraz Island