Alcatraz IslandCurrently Open
- Address: San Francisco, CA 94133, United States, 94133
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +1-4155614900
- Ticket Price: 30 USD
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Island, Garden, Landmark, Walking Area, Entertainment, Family And Kids, Landmarks, Historic And Protected Sites
Alcatraz Island - Review
The Alcatraz Island San Francisco is an infamous historical prison island, built in 1868. Alcatraz is located in middle of San Francisco Bay, 1.25 miles offshore from San Francisco, California, United States. Many famous people have been imprisioned here, and it played an important role in American history, so much so that it was declared as a National Historic Landmark. The places of interest on the island in California include the Former Military Chapel, Baker Beach, Building 64, the Boat Dock, the Lighthouse, the Main Lighthouse, the New Industries Building, the Officers Club, the Wardens House, and the Main Cell house.
The Alcatraz San Franciso is also the natural habitat to Californian Slender Salamanders, Black Crowned Herons and Western Gulls. Migratory birds use the numerous cliff tops for the breeding and roosting. Also to see are the historical gardens planted by the family of the resident defence personnel, and especially the almost extinct Welsh Rose.
Streamline your vacation around Alcatraz Island using San Francisco trip planner.
Alcatraz Island Information
- Ticket prices depend on tour timings and age. It’s more expensive in the night.
- Visitors must reach the island through ferry rides from Pier 33 on Fisherman’s Wharf, operated by Alcatraz Tours.
- Alcatraz Island tours available seasonally.
- Pier 33 to Alcatraz take 10- 15 min from ferry ride.
Alcatraz wheelchair accessible at -
- Alcatraz dock area
- Alcatraz Prison building main floor
- All bookstores
- Island theater
- Alcatraz landing Pier 33
- All Alcatraz Cruises vessels
Alcatraz Island Ticket Prices
Alcatraz Day Tour Tickets -
- Adult: USD 38
- Senior: USD 35.75
- Child : USD 23.25
Alcatraz Night Tour -
- Adult: USD 45
- Junior: USD 44
- Senior: USD 41.75
- Child: 26.75
Alcatraz Behind the Scenes Tour -
- Adult: USD 90
- Junior: USD 86
- Senior: USD 83.75
Alcatraz Island Hours
- Departure from San Francisco at 9 am
- The Alcatraz ferry runs every 30 to 40 minutes to and from Alcatraz.
- The island closes for the day at 6:30 pm in the summer, 4:30 pm in fall, winter and spring.
- Alcatraz closed on Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Year's day.
- Early Bird tour hours - 8:45 am
Alcatraz Day Tour -
- Summer Hours: 9:10 am, 9:30 am, 10:00 am, 10:30 am, 11:00 am, 11:30 am, 12:00 pm, 12:30 pm, 1:00 pm, 1:30 pm, 2:10 pm, 2:40 pm, 3:20 pm, 3:50 pm
- Winter Hours: 9:10 am, 9:30 am, 10:00 am, 10:30 am, 11:00 am, 11:30 am, 12:00 pm, 12:30 pm, 1:05 pm, 1.35 pm
Alcatraz Night Tour -
- Summer Hours: 5:55 pm, 6:30 pm
- Winter Hours: 3:50 pm, additional time of 4:45 pm may also be available
Behind the Scenes -
- Summer Hours: 4:20 pm, 4:50 pm
- Winter Hours: 2:10 pm, 2:40 pm
How To reach Alcatraz Island by Public Transport
- Fisherman’s Wharf, San Francisco Bay
Restaurants Near Alcatraz Island
- Alioto’s Restaurant
- Kokkari Estiatorio
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in San Francisco before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in San Francisco and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Alcatraz Island
95% of people who visit San Francisco include Alcatraz Island in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
58.42% of people start their Alcatraz Island visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Alcatraz Island
91.1% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Alcatraz Island
Alcatraz Island Trips
Alcatraz Island, San Francisco Reviews
Detailed and entertaining tours. This place is a museum with plenty of memorable events. They have a nice garden and a lot of areas to explore. The best part is having a view of the entire day and city. Kick back for awhile and soak up the view. This is probably one of the cheapest and most comfortable ways to get out on the water too. It's a short 15 minute ride each way but we enjoyed the sunset and boaters. Since it's a federal park you know you'll get proper service as well.
The best self-guided tour I've ever taken. So well done. So much history here. And the stories of the inmates are very interesting. Everything from the booking of the boat ride and island visit, to the presentation of the information was well managed, efficient and professionally done. Kudos to the park system and to the individuals that make it all happen! Please give me a thumbs up "like" for this review and the pictures... Thanks!
I'm from the east coast, as a truck driver I get to visit California a lot..but never get time to visit and sight see. I took a personal day and went to see Alcatraz...it is something I will never forget for as long as I live. It was an amazing experience and the staff was very knowledgeable. I would love to go back and visit a second time. If anyone is on the fence about going or not, GO SEE IT!!!! It is worth every penny, I promise!
Loved it. It's definitely a place everyone should experience once in their life. I also loved how they allow you to ship your souvenirs back to your home. It's just a really neat experience all together. I also loved the guy who greeted me and my boyfriend when we first got upstairs to start the tour. He knew the city we were from on the East Coast and even knew really neat facts about our hometown.
We took the night tour. Left pier 33 at 6:30 pm. The boat ride was comfortable, the concessions offerings were well priced and varied. The evening boat rides are extra special because they will give you a 360 view of the island. This was the best your I've ever taken. Very well done, entertaining and informative.