Crissy Field1309 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: 1199 E Beach, San Francisco, CA 94129, United States
- Timings: 10:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-4155617690
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Walking Area, Cafe, Picnic Spot, Sculpture
Crissy Field is a former U.S. Army airfield part of the erstwhile Presidio of San Francisco. After it was shut down, the area was taken over by the National Park Service and converted into a public recreational space. While many buildings in the area have been restored and kept as they were, some have been converted to retail shops and residences. It is part of the Golden Gate National Recreational Area. The main features are:
- The West Bluff: It has a picnic area, the Warming Hut Cafe and walking trails leading to Golden Gate Bridge and Fort Point.
- The Beach: The shore has been cleaned up and restored and sand dunes have been created.
- The Promenade: The Golden Gate Promenade runs from the Crissy Field Centre to the Warming Hut.
- The Tidal Wetlands: This restored marsh is now a habitat for several species of fish and birds.
- The Crissy Field Centre: An educational centre that runs summer programs and youth activities.
- Mark di Suvero Sculptures: The SFMOMA has displayed 8 sculptures here.
A former U.S. Army airfield, Crissy Field today stand as a very popular recreation park and known to attract a lot of visitors. It does not need any Crissy Field Tickets to enter the premises as the place is divided into different segments. You get to enjoy a beach, a promenade, wetland and sculptures, all at free of cost. Yes! No long queue to Buy Tickets for Crissy Field or worry about Crissy Field Ticket Prices. Just go to the place and delve into its beauty without spending a penny.
Crissy Field Travel Tips
- Although the water is usually clean and safe, heed warnings when they are posted.
- The wind usually picks up by mid-day. If you want a quiet walk, go during the early morning hours.
- Wear sunglasses as the wind blows sand into your eyes.
How to Reach Crissy Field
- Bus Stop: Stilwell Hall
- Warming Hut
- Beach Hut Cafe
- Bobo's (Boboquivari's)
- Cafe Lombard
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in San Francisco before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in San Francisco and book an accommodation of your choice.
6.33% of people who visit San Francisco include Crissy Field in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
40% of people start their Crissy Field visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Crissy Field
87.5% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Crissy Field
Crissy Field Reviews & Ratings
Love this place! Perfect spot for Golden Gate Bridge. It’s very close to the Palace of Fine Arts Theater, you should definitely visit there too after strolling along the beach.
We kind of stumbled upon Crissy Field in our quest to get a great view of the Golden Gate Bridge. This was one of the coolest stops during our SF visit! We started with a great lunch at the Warming Hut. They had food options for vegetarians and GF diets. They had great stuff for the kids too. The kids especially loved the cookies. (They are expensive, but too cool to pass up.) The gift shop was wonderful too. After lunch we took amazing photos of the Golden Gate Bridge. We were really close to it and it was a clear day. After that we walked (for what seemed like miles) along the beach. The kids frolicked in the Pacific and we saw some sea lions swimming in the distance. There were many families swimming and playing in the sand & water but it wasn’t crowded. The kids loved it! We saw a wildlife protection area and some friendly dogs along our walk. It was a very peaceful and fun experience. At the end of our beautiful walk we found ourselves at the Palace of Fine Arts.
Beautiful park with a great view of the Golden Gate Bridge! Crissy Field is very friendly to tourists and residents of San Francisco alike. I wouldn't recommend going there after dark, unfortunately. Overall, Crissy Field is a beautiful spot.
Nice huge open field, pets allowed, beach area, pier to walk out on to see Golden Gate Bridge close up and Alcatraz. You can walk bike or scoot. There is nice picnic areas with grills for a party. I was really impressed.
Have been here to watch the air show and to take sunrise pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge. It’s a nice spot with a beautiful view of the bay. Great place to hang out with the family or have a picnic. Can walk down to the beach as well.