Pioneer MonumentCurrently Open
- Address: Civic Center, San Francisco, California, United States Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 00:15 Mins
- Tags: View Point, Monument, Sculpture
Find this controversial structure between the Asian Art Museum and the Main Library.Frank Happersberger sculpted the 820 tonne artwork, intending it to decorate the old City Hall, which burned down in the 1906 Earthquake.
The sculptor has a number of figures: the crowing Roman goddess Minerva, goddesses of agriculture and commerce, a vaquero, a priest, prospectors, and what looks like a submissive native American. This last has been a source of controversy. In the 1990s, a plaque was added to the monument, recognising the severe mistreatment of the Native Americans. Reportedly this further annoyed the natives, the Franciscans, and the Spanish Government.
Definitely worth a visit.
How to Reach Pioneer Monument
- Buses 10, 70, 101 stop Seventh St & Market St
- Buses F, T-Owl, MUNI, 6, 7, 9 stop Market St & Hyde St
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in San Francisco before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in San Francisco and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Pioneer Monument Address: Civic Center, San Francisco, California, United States
- Pioneer Monument Timing: 24-hrs
- Time required to visit Pioneer Monument: 00:15 Mins
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
0.23% of people who visit San Francisco include Pioneer Monument in their plan
95% of people start their Pioneer Monument visit around 12 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Pioneer Monument
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Pioneer Monument
People normally club together San Francisco National Cemetery and Hendrik Point while planning their visit to Pioneer Monument.