How to Reach San Gimignano
- By Air: The closest airport to the city is in Florence, which is about an hour drive by car. Buses are also available from LungarnoSoderini.
- By Train: There is no train station at San Gimignano. However, you may reach Poggibonsi by Italia rail from where you can take a bus. The busses run frequently to and fro both cities.
- By Bus: San Gimignano can be reached through Florence or Siena. However, you may have to change the buses at Poggibonsi. Buses leave at Florence every hour. From Siena, there are five buses per day and it is a 70 minute ride.
- By Taxi: You can also reach the city by car. But, you cannot enter the city walls. There are a number of paid parking lots just outside the walls. A free one is available down the road.
- On Foot: The city is very small and can be covered on foot. The cars and taxis aren’t allowed into the city.
- By Shuttlebus: An electric shuttlebus from Porta San Giovanni to Piazza della Cisterna to Porta San Matteo is available all through the day. It costs EUR 1 for two hours and the tickets can be bought at the tourist info or the Tabacchi store.