- Address: Sarapiqui, Alajuela Province, Costa Rica, San Jose
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 07:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, River, Family And Kids, Water Sport
Located 70 kilometers away from San Jose, the Sarapiqui river is one of the top tourist places for white water rafting, rappelling and fishing. The river also proved important during the 1856 war when weapons and soldiers were transported through the river.
The dams built on the river are also used to generate hydroelectricity. For tourists the sheer green tropical forests, mountains that have rustic hiking routes and natural spots along the banks of the river are loved for picnics and spending a day with nature. The wildlife adds to the beauty with iguanas, alligators, otters, crocodiles and a variety of birds that are a common sight.
- Carry bottled drinking water and snacks with you to have a hearty picnic on the river banks.
- If you want to take part in any adventure sports at the river, contact local organizers.
- A guided tour is recommended.
Recommended time of arrival is 8.00 am to 10.00 am.
- By renting a Car
- Ask locals for busses that reach the river
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in San Jose before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in San Jose and book an accommodation of your choice.
We were on the river by boat. Many families were in the water to swim. 200 meters away from it basked a 2.50 m long crocodile on the beach. On the way back cattle came to drink to the river. All in all, really nice.
Awesome Rapids and wildlife, never a dull time on this river. A must see while traveling in CR.
Skønt med en sejltur på denne smukke flod. Roligt og fredfyldt.
Un río muy bonito para ir a acampar con la familia 👪
Siempre pasa sucioo