La FortalezaCurrently Closed
- Address: 63 Calle Fortaleza, San Juan, 00901, Puerto Rico
- Timings: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-7877217000
- Ticket Price: 5 USD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Ancient Ruin, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Tower, Architecture , Picnic Spot, Fort
About La Fortaleza, San Juan
Puerto Rico is the first island that anyone would come across when on a voyage from Europe to America. It was captured by the Spaniards in the late 15th century and was their prized possession as it gave access to all the trade routes between the Old world and the New. La Fortaleza was actually the first fortification built in San Juan between 1533 and 1540 right near the shores overlooking the ocean. Its architectural style was obviously more military and defence oriented rather than a royal one. Throughout the ages till the 19th century the fortress has stood guard against many English and Dutch attacks on Puerto Rico.
Another tower was built adjacent to the fort. It was customary for the governor to reside and take oath for the King of Spain from here. La Fortaleza is now a World Heritage Site by UNESCO and is also the part of San Juan National Historic Site among other forts like del Morro and Cristobal. It also houses the current governor of Puerto Rico in line with the old traditions.
La Fortaleza Information
- For a detailed list of Annual passes and reservations, refer website.
- The Fortaleza street starts from west from near the La Fortaleza to east and is famous for its wide variety of shops and restaurants.
La Fortaleza Ticket Prices
- Children under 15 FREE
- Parking fee is $2.00 per hour
La Fortaleza Opening and Closing Hours
- For a detailed list of activities, refer website.
How To reach La Fortaleza by Public Transport
- Free trams numbered 1 to 26 are available throughout the city.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in San Juan before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in San Juan and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting La Fortaleza
65.93% of people who visit San Juan include La Fortaleza in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
67.93% of people start their La Fortaleza visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see La Fortaleza
84.09% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting La Fortaleza
La Fortaleza Map
La Fortaleza Trips
La Fortaleza, San Juan Reviews
I am not being mean or nothing. But you should not make so much people wait in line for the sealing covers espacialy old people so please do something about it
A historic jewel! The tour was excellent.
Beautiful historic residence of the Governor of San Juan, Puerto Rica. We were lucky to get a chance to go on a tour of the residence that is not generally available to the public.
Beautiful castle where the governor of Puerto Rico and his family lives, full of history
Great place. Went there for their Christmas special!
All QuestionsLa fortaleza
- Greater Star Mssnry Bapt Chr
- Evangelist Temple Church
- Murray, Lewellyn S
- Racine Avenue Station
- Gorham House
- Naturally Funny Entertainment
- Holy Temple Cmnty Chr Of God
- Normal Park Baptist Church
- Congregation Chesed L'Avrohom
- General Cinema Theaters Cinema North 14
- Sanctuary Church Of Chicago
- GL 55- Chelsea River East Boston
- Mz Carly's Escorts In Chicago
- New Christain Fellowship Mb Church
- Greater Works Ministries#2