Home to one of the most magnificent Heritage sites of India, the Sanchi Stupa, Sanchi is a small town with great architecture housed in its folds. The town is today seen as synonymous with the Buddhist Stupas that bejeweledSanchi as an endeavor to preserve and disseminate Buddhist ideology by King Asoka. Spreading the philosophy of peace ever since then, these stunning monuments are the emblems of past, the art of Mauryan dynasty and human history.
With an array of Stupas (the Buddhist domes), monasteries and an Ashokan pillar, Sanchi seems like a pilgrimage town taken straight out of some religious book, proliferating philosophies and spiritual practices. For the art historians, the Stupas are a manifestation of the development of the Buddhist architecture and sculpture beginning from the 3rd century B.C. to the 12th century A.D. This site was uncovered in the year 1818 by General Taylor and thus an archaeological museum was established in 1919 by Sir John Marshall here to make the tourists understand about its art, architecture and spiritual relevance. Ever since then, this architectural wonder has been the subject of enquiry by Indians as well as foreigners who visit it to understand its great presence. The Mahastupa here has given the status of 'World Heritage Site' by UNESCO entailed by its world recognition and international tourism. One of the pivotal jewels of Madhya Pradesh’s tourism, Sanchi will leave you awe struck with its glory and annals in past and many Buddha stories. Considered to be the oldest stone structure of India, Sanchi Stupa embeds Buddha’s journey towards enlightenment and ultimate “Nirvana” (eternal bliss) from the cycle of life and death.
Essential travel information and Sanchi tips for your visit
- SanchiTime Zone:IST (Indian Standard Time) GMT+5:30
- Currency: Currency used in Sanchi is Indian Rupees.
- Electricity:India uses 230 Volts, 50 Hz alternating current as the power source. Plugs and sockets have grounded / earthed 3 Pin connections (Type D) or ungrounded 2 pin connections (Type C).
- Internet: 3G, Wi-Fi connections are available in almost all the hotels in the city.
- Languages: Language spoken inSanchi is Hindi.
- Security: Police: 100, Ambulance: 108, Hospital: 07482222491
- Tipping: Tipping is generally expected for the services rendered.
- Refrain from getting overfriendly with strangers. Do not get too personal with people like taxi drivers, auto drivers, tourist guides, etc.
- Keep all your cash and valuables under lock and key in your hotel room. Avoid carrying and exhibiting them in busy streets.
- Always keep water with you.