Warm white sand, warmer beach breezes and delicious smells wafting off barbecue grills will mellow you down at Bowman’s Beach. This pretty beach in Sanibel Island is a favourite amongst visitors thanks to its many amenities and isolated location.
This beach is located off Sanibel-Captiva Road. You’ll have to park your car, walk over a few bridges and hike up for around 5 minutes. Once your feet touch the soft, powdery sand, you’ll get to relax in front of the glittering Gulf of Mexico. There aren’t any hotels here and it’s usually less crowded than the typical beach.
- You can do all the beach basics, like swimming, snorkelling, beach ball and etc.
- The beach is covered in shells, so shell collectors will have a blast.
- You’ll have access to picnic tables and outdoor grills so bring a picnic basket and some food and have a beach party.
- There are nature and fitness trails all around the beach.
- There’s also canoe and kayak launching here
- There are restrooms, changing rooms and an outdoor shower.
- There’s free handicap parking.
- Public telephone at restrooms.
- Be careful! If you go over the time on the parking meter, the penalty will be $50!
- The beach is dog friendly but make sure you clean up after your pooch.
- Parking fees- $3/hour.
- Lazy Flamingo (Seafood)
- The Mad Hatter (New American)
- Sunset Grill (Fine dining)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Sanibel before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sanibel and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Sanibel include Bowman's Beach in their plan
50% of people start their Bowman's Beach visit around 07 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Bowman's Beach
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Bowman's Beach
The beach is long, perfect for romantic walks or shelling. Waves are good for swimming. There is a fitness and nature conservation trails, also grill sights, bathrooms, changing stations, bike racks, the parking is a little steep @$5/hr, but overall what more could you ask for. Bring your own food and drinks. What I did is find parking over by the entrance to JN Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge and took my bike through which pops you out right by the beach and then there is a bike path beside the main road to take you back. A very pleasant loop.
It felt very private, yet spacious. There is plenty of room to find your own area to lay out and swim. My boyfriend and I even spotted a few dolphins in the water! Highly recommend. Plenty of parking.
I love Bowmans beach. Been going there for years. Every time I get down to Ft. Meyers it's a must for me. It's a great shelling beach. The water is nice and calm. Swam out to the sand bar a few times. My kids enjoyed picking up shells. The walk is far from the parking lot but we'll worth it. The kids enjoyed reading all the info stations along the way to the beach. Glad it has a changing area and bathroom.
Most amazing natural sand beach we have ever visited. Literally billions of shells, sometimes a foot deep!
Nice relaxed beach. I have not encountered large crowds, especially in the evenings, which happens to be my favorite time to visit beaches. Sunsets at this location are absolutely stunning. This is indeed a hidden gem.