J.n. Darling National Wildlife Refuge, Sanibel
J.n. Darling National Wildlife Refuge, Sanibel - Address, Phone Number
Address: 1 Wildlife Dr., Off Sanibel–Captiva Rd. at MM 2, Sanibel, Florida, 33957, United States
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 3.3K times in trip plans
Outdoors, Wildlife Sanctuary , Wildlife Park, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About J.n. Darling National Wildlife Refuge, Sanibel
Jay Norwood Darling was a popular cartoonist with a passion for the environment. The double Pulitzer Prize winner was appointed head of the U.S Biological Survey and the National Wildlife Federation but his most valiant effort took place in 1945.
On the subtropical barrier island of Sanibel, lies the beautiful, luscious J.N (Ding) Darling National Wildlife Refuge. In 1945, this was a parcel of land which the government intended to sell to developers. At Darling’s behest, President Truman turned the area into a wildlife refuge, thus protecting the 6,400 acres of mangrove that thrive in the area.
- Submerged seagrass beds, cordgrass marshes and West Indian Hardwood Hammocks will delight plant lovers.
- Over 245 birds visit the refuge throughout the year, including different species of flamingos, pelicans, ducks, vultures, kites, hawks and falcons.
- There are 35 species of mammals, such as bobcats, rabbits, racoons and otters.
- The reptiles that have made this place their home are fascinating. You’ll find the American Crocodile, the American Alligator, turtles, tortoises, a variety of snakes and lizards. You’ll also meet frogs, and different kinds of fish.
- There are a few endangered species of animals that pass by, such as the loggerhead sea turtle, the small tooth saw fish, the West Indian manatee and the wood stork.
J.n. Darling National Wildlife Refuge Information
- The best place to start your journey is the visitor and information centre, which is wheelchair accessible.
- The best time to visit is during low tide.
- Take plenty of water, sunscreen, hats and comfortable walking shoes.
- Dogs are allowed on the Wildlife Drive, Indigo Trail and Bailey Tract but they have to be kept on the leash no longer than 6 feet.
J.n. Darling National Wildlife Refuge Ticket Prices
- Wildlife Drive: Admission: $5 per vehicle, $1 per pedestrian, $1 per bicycle.
- Indigo Trail Admission: $1 per pedestrian, $1 per bicycle (no vehicles).
- Bailey Tract Admission: FREE, pedestrian and bicycles only.
Restaurants Near J.n. Darling National Wildlife Refuge
- Doc Ford’s Sanibel Bar and Grill (Sports bar, Caribbean)
- Sunset Grill Incorporated (Seafood)
- Mad Hatter Restaurant (High End, Seafood)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Sanibel before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sanibel and book an accommodation of your choice.
Find places near J.n. Darling National Wildlife Refuge, Sanibel
Name: ATM Address: 4249 Sanibel Captiva RdDistance: 1.539 km away
Name: Keith M. Halik, R.Ph. Address: 3364 Twin Lakes LnDistance: 1.672 km away
Name: Doc Ford's Sanibel Bar & Grill Address: 975 Rabbit RdDistance: 0.522 km away
Name: Java Butler Address: 565 Lake Murex CirDistance: 1.669 km away
Name: Doc Fords Address: 4301 Sanibel Captiva RdDistance: 1.76 km away
Name: Traditions on the Beach Address: 3111 W Gulf DrDistance: 2.609 km away
Name: Normandie Seaside Pub Address: 3345 W Gulf DrDistance: 2.149 km away
Name: F C Harrity Corporation Address: 975 Rabbit RdDistance: 0.525 km away
Name: VSI Mobil Mix Address: 3840 Sanibel Captiva RdDistance: 0.379 km away
J.n. Darling National Wildlife Refuge, Sanibel Reviews
- Top Attractions in Sanibel
- Blind Pass Beach
- Sanibel Public Library
- Clinic For The Rehabilitation Of Wildlife Crow
- Sanibel Historical Museum And Village
- Sanibel Moorings Botanical Gardens
- Sanibel Captiva Conservation Foundation
- Gulfside City Park Beach
- Sanibel Community Playground
- Big Arts
- Three Crafty Ladies
- Lighthouse Beach Park
- Upcoming Attractions in Sanibel
- Blind Pass
- Sanibel Moorings Resort
- Sanibel Island Condos
- Bailey's General Store
- She Sells Sea Shells
- The Island Cow
- Pinocchio's Italian Ice Cream
- Dunkin' Donuts
- Springhill Suites Orlando Convention Center/international Drive Area
- Doc Ford's Sanibel Bar & Grill
- Matlacha Pass National Wildlife Refuge