Sanibel Island Lighthouse, Sanibel
About Sanibel Island Lighthouse, Sanibel
Sanibel Island Lighthouse, Sanibel - Address, Phone Number
Address: 112 Periwinkle Way, Sanibel, FL 33957, United States
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Timings: 11:00 am - 09:00 pm Details
Added 5K times in trip plans
Outdoors, Light House, Landmark, Architecture
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Towering above a lush, green wildlife refuge, the Sanibel Island Lighthouse is the first sight you’ll see when you’ve reached the island. Built 120 years ago, it’s a symbol of Sanibel Island and is surrounded by greenery, as well as a shell filled beach. History, nature and old architecture come together to give visitors a multi-faceted treat.
Built in 1884, the Sanibel Island Light, or Point Ybel Light, was one of Florida’s first lighthouses. It was built to guide ships into the San Carlos Bay. Ever since its inception the area has been a popular sight as well as a romantic spot for couples. Though you aren’t allowed to enter the lighthouse itself, there are many things you can do outside and around it.
- This is a popular spot to get married, to pop the question and just for any romantic occasion.
- You can have fun on the beach with the lighthouse as a beautiful backdrop.
- The lighthouse is close to the pier, where you’ll find fishermen peacefully catching their lot for the day.
- You’ll see a lot of wildlife here, like the egrets who spend time along the sea shore, dolphins and manta rays.
Sanibel Island Lighthouse Information
- Other Hours: The beach is open from 7:00 am.
- Other Ticket Prices: Parking- $2
- Tips & Warnings: Swimming is not recommended due to causeway currents.
- Keep your pets on a leash around the lighthouse grounds, and on the beach.
- The Sanibel Lighthouse is at the eastern end of Periwinkle Way (and the eastern tip of the island) - just follow Periwinkle to its end, and you'll be in the parking lot for the lighthouse. Take a left immediately before entering the parking lot, to get to the fishing pier.
Restaurants Near Sanibel Island Lighthouse
- Lighthouse Cafe (Breakfast, Creative sandwiches)
- East End Deli
- Gramma Dot’s (American)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Sanibel before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sanibel and book an accommodation of your choice.