The Bailey-matthews National Shell Museum299 Votes Currently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
Have you ever wondered how clams, oysters and sea slugs create their precious shells? A visit to the Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum will tell you how. Visitors, especially children, marvel at their fascinating collection of shells and information. And what better place than Sanibel Island – home of shell speckled beaches?
The museum opened its door in 1995 and since then, it has moved from being a local attraction to an internationally recognized natural history museum. In 1997, the museum published the Nautilus, the second oldest English language shell science journal in the world. The museum has acquired a collection of shells from all over the world, and especially from the local shores of Florida.
- You’ll marvel at their collection of ancient shell fossils, living creatures who hide away in their shells (like molluscs) and their collection of regular shells you’d find at the beach.
- All the exhibitions are explained in detail by professional naturalists.
- There’s a memorial garden for actor Raymond Burr outside the museum, as well as a movie available to watch on his life and times as an avid shell collector.
The Bailey-matthews National Shell Museum Travel Tips
- If you bicycle it to the museum, you’ll get a $1 discount on the admission.
- This is recommended for young children.
Entrance Ticket Details For The Bailey-matthews National Shell Museum
- Youth 5-17- $5.00.
- Children 4 years and under: Free.
- AAA, AARP, Military, Senior (60+) and student discounts available.
- George and Wendy’s Sanibel Seafood Grille (Seafood)
- The Sandbar (American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Oyster Bar)
- Timbers Restaurant and Fish Market (Seafood)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Sanibel before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sanibel and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Sanibel include The Bailey-matthews National Shell Museum in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
46.34% of people start their The Bailey-matthews National Shell Museum visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see The Bailey-matthews National Shell Museum
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting The Bailey-matthews National Shell Museum
People normally club together Clinic For The Rehabilitation Of Wildlife Crow and Sanibel And Captiva Chamber Of Commerce And Visitors Center while planning their visit to The Bailey-matthews National Shell Museum.
The Bailey-matthews National Shell Museum Reviews & Ratings
This museum is currently being remodeled, check there website for reopen date. I have seen behind the curtain and this museum is going to be even way more assume then it was. Definitely put this on your itinerary!
Learned more about shells in this visit than I thought possible, many are beautiful.
This place was really cool, it was very informative and had a ton of shells to see. It was an excellent place to take our children to get them out of the sun for a bit. It was very well priced and had great activities for the kids.
Went here with my 3 year old. We had a great time. I wasn't sure what to expect but it's perfect for the kids. There was a talk about mollusks which I found interesting and it kept my child occupied.
Great museum!!! Arts and crafts room was fun. The touch tank talk was very well done. The exhibits were wonderful! Great place for kids.