The Bailey-matthews National Shell Museum, Sanibel
About The Bailey-matthews National Shell Museum, Sanibel
The Bailey-matthews National Shell Museum, Sanibel - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: 3075 Sanibel Captiva Rd, Sanibel, FL 33957, United States
Ticket Price: 11 USD
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 2.6K times in trip plans
Museum, Family And Kids, Exhibition , Specialty Museum
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Have you ever wondered how clams, oysters and sea slugs create their precious shells? A visit to the Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum will tell you how. Visitors, especially children, marvel at their fascinating collection of shells and information. And what better place than Sanibel Island – home of shell speckled beaches?
The museum opened its door in 1995 and since then, it has moved from being a local attraction to an internationally recognized natural history museum. In 1997, the museum published the Nautilus, the second oldest English language shell science journal in the world. The museum has acquired a collection of shells from all over the world, and especially from the local shores of Florida.
- You’ll marvel at their collection of ancient shell fossils, living creatures who hide away in their shells (like molluscs) and their collection of regular shells you’d find at the beach.
- All the exhibitions are explained in detail by professional naturalists.
- There’s a memorial garden for actor Raymond Burr outside the museum, as well as a movie available to watch on his life and times as an avid shell collector.
The Bailey-matthews National Shell Museum Information
- If you bicycle it to the museum, you’ll get a $1 discount on the admission.
- This is recommended for young children.
The Bailey-matthews National Shell Museum Ticket Prices
- Youth 5-17- $5.00.
- Children 4 years and under: Free.
- AAA, AARP, Military, Senior (60+) and student discounts available.
Restaurants Near The Bailey-matthews National Shell Museum
- George and Wendy’s Sanibel Seafood Grille (Seafood)
- The Sandbar (American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Oyster Bar)
- Timbers Restaurant and Fish Market (Seafood)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Sanibel before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sanibel and book an accommodation of your choice.
The Bailey-matthews National Shell Museum, Sanibel Reviews - Write a Review
Some cool shells, a few mind you Oriented to the little kids However gift shop not enough kid things That might be a good thing, don't have to spend your money on junk Adults a big bust!
Awesome!! Beautiful shells. Informative staff. Some may think it's pricey but I loved it. I learned a tremendous amount about shells and mollusks as well as other local creatures. It's a must before shelling.
One of a kind. Kids will love it. 15 dollars is kind of expensive
Fun place to go and learn about seashells... very interesting and beautiful displays. Enjoyed doing the shell craft as well as the presentation about live sea shells. Worth a visit 👍
Very nice place to understand the life of sea scallops and Mollusks..Don't miss out live session in the level 1. Kids and adults enjoy equally