Events and Festivals in Santa Barbara, California
Events and Festivals in Santa Barbara
Festivals in Santa Barbara
- Santa Barbara International Film Festival is a flagship event in the town held annually towards the end of January/beginning of February, downtown. Some of the biggest names in Hollywood grace the proceedings that include awards ceremonies and world premier screenings.
- French Festival Bastille Day Weekend in Oak Park.
- Fiesta, Last Week of July or First week of August. This week-long event takes over the entire city, with most of the main events being held in the downtown area. Also known as Old Spanish Days, it is a celebration of Santa Barbara's Spanish, Mexican, and occasionally Native American history. Fiesta events generally feature Folklorico, flamenco, and Aztec music and dance. Undoubtedly the biggest event of the year,it is teeming with performances. If you want a good view of performers these smaller venues such as little cafes and restaurants are the way to go.
- There are also special tours of the Mission and other historical sites take place, and a rodeo is held at the Earl Warren Show grounds.
Events in Santa Barbara
- Fiesta Pequenia: The steps of the mission to transform into a stage. Fiesta dignataries (people who plan the events) are greeted by Flower Girls (the "hostesses" of Fiesta) and shown to their seats at the front. El president then declares the official start of Fiesta week. Next, local dance studios showcase some of their best dancers. In the middle of the performances, a representative from "Native Daughters of the Golden West" appears as Saint Babara, for the first time in public. The Junior and Senior Spirits of Fiesta also have their first public performances here. The two spirits are flamenco dancers. The best dancers in each Flamenco studio compete for the titles, during a May competition. The Junior Spirit competition involves a dance performance, where as Senior Spirt contestants are asked to demonstrate his or her public speaking abilities, in addition to their dancing abilities.
- Mercados: These events last all week and feature food booths and stages with live entertainment. El Mercado del Sud, located in De la Guerra Plaza, is the largest of the mercados. During the day, both mercados have performances from local dance groups and at night they have live music. In addition to food booths they have Fiesta themed merchandise for sale. From Friday through Sunday, there is the Our Lady of Guadalupe Mercado, which is one of the most authentic Mexican experiences you can have, outside of Mexico with food and mariachi music.
- Las Noches de Ronda - Nightly dance and music performance in the Court House sunken gardens. Auditions are required and flamenco studios normally show reserve their best dances for "Noches". Other performers include Folklorico, Hip-Hop, and Aztec dancers, in addition to musical performances.
- El Desfile Historico: The Fiesta Historical Parade Up State Street, is one of the largest equestrian parades in the United States. It occurs on the Saturday of Fiesta Week.
- El Desfile De Los Ninos: The Children's Parade Up State Street. Local children's groups dress up for Fiesta and parade down the street.
- Tardes de Ronda Daytime performance in the courthouse sunken gardens, featuring child performers.
Another of the popular events in Santa Barbara is the Summer Solstice Celebration – During the Summer Solstice Weekend, in downtown Santa Barbara, groups of locals use recycled products to create whimsical floats and costumes around a general theme. Past themes have included: ‘Jungle’, ‘Circus’ and ‘Wild Things’. Yearly staples include belly dancers, swing dancers, and Tihitian Dancers.
Trip plans for Santa Barbara
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Santa Barbara
Save 7%Stand-Up Paddle Board Rental New on TripHobo
Duration: 1 Hrs
Rent a Stand-Up Paddle Board (SUP) in the Santa Barbara Harbor! Your reservation is for 1 hour, but you can extend your time ...
Santa Barbara Funk Zone Food Tasting Tour New on TripHobo
Duration: 3 Hrs 30 Mins
On this food walking tour, guests will explore some of the citys off the beaten path eateries and shops. This 3.5-hour tour s...Book Now
Santa Barbara Vineyard to Table Taste Tour by Bike
Duration: 7 Hrs
Cycle through the vineyards and quaint towns of the Santa Ynez Valley, Santa Barbara's world class wine growing region. ...Book Now
Private Surf Lesson in Santa Barbara New on TripHobo
Duration: 2 Hrs
Sharpen your skills in the water with a customized private surf lesson in Santa Barbara, a great option for Santa Barbara gue...Book Now
- Events & Festivals in Malibu
- Events & Festivals in Pismo Beach
- Events & Festivals in Santa Monica
- Events & Festivals in Bakersfield
- Events & Festivals in San Luis Obispo
- Events & Festivals in Los Angeles
- Events & Festivals in Long Beach
- Events & Festivals in Paso Robles
- Events & Festivals in Fresno
- Events & Festivals in Miami
- Events & Festivals in New York City
- Events & Festivals in Chicago
- Events & Festivals in Las Vegas
- Events & Festivals in San Francisco
- Events & Festivals in Seattle