Museo Y Cuevas De Altamira, Santillana Del Mar
About Museo Y Cuevas De Altamira, Santillana Del Mar
Museo Y Cuevas De Altamira, Santillana Del Mar - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: Avenida Marcelino Sanz de Sautuola, 39330 Santillana del Mar, Spain
Ticket Price: 3 EUR
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:30 am - 08:00 pm Details
Added 2.2K times in trip plans
Art Gallery, Cave, Historical Site, Tourist Center, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
This is the first place to be discovered as a site for the prehistoric cave paintings. Discovered in 1879 and made public in 1880, Cave of Altimira now houses cave paintings from the Upper Palaeolithic age, displaying drawings and polychrome rock images of mammals and human hands.
The cave is 300 metres long, with a course of chambers and passages. Each chamber vary from two to six metres in height. The paintings are done with charcoal, haematite, or ochre diluted together. The most important paintings include:
- The iconic Palaeolithic bison painting.
- The polychrome ceiling, which depicts a number of animals painted.
- The handprints made by artists when they placed their hands on the wall.
However, since the original cave is deteriorating due to the carbon dioxide and excessive visitors, a replica cave and museum is built for the visitors.
This site was deemed as UNESCO Heritage Site due to the intricate 18,500 year old paintings.
Museo Y Cuevas De Altamira Information
- Also known as Museo de Altamira or Cave of Altamira.
- Ticket counter closes half an hour before the museum closes.
- Tickets can also be bought in advance through the site.
Museo Y Cuevas De Altamira Ticket Prices
- Concession: EUR 1.50
- Annual Card: EUR 25
- Saturdays from 2:00 pm and all day on Sundays
- April 18 (International Day for Monuments and Sites)
- May 18 (International Museum Day)
- October 12 (Columbus Day)
- December 6 (Constitution Day)
- For under 18 and over 65 years of age
How To reach Museo Y Cuevas De Altamira by Public Transport
- Buses are available from the town of Santillana Del Mar.
Restaurants Near Museo Y Cuevas De Altamira
- EL Pasaje de Los Nobles
- El BisonteRojo
- La Bodeguita Del Arte
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Santillana Del Mar before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Santillana Del Mar and book an accommodation of your choice.
Museo Y Cuevas De Altamira, Santillana Del Mar Reviews - Write a Review
- Nearby Attractions
- La Cueva Mitologica
- Casa De La Infanta Paz
- Santillana Del Mar
- Colegiata De Santa Juliana
- Cave Of Altamira
- Casa De Los Sanchez Tagle
- Casa Del Aguila Y La Parra
- Santillana Del Mar Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Santillana Del Mar
- What to See in 48 Hours in Santillana Del Mar
- What to See in 72 Hours in Santillana Del Mar
- How to Spend 5 Days in Santillana Del Mar
- How to Spend 6 Days in Santillana Del Mar
- How to Spend 7 Days in Santillana Del Mar