Santorini Island is one of the most spectacular Volcanic Islands in the Aegean Sea. Once an active volcano, the island is now completely dormant. You will still be able to see the vestiges of what it was through the smaller islands of Palea Kameni and Nea Kameni that are a part of it. Although they are dormant. There are a few volcanic craters still existing on the islands. This makes a visit to these simply thrilling.
The volcanoes a side, Santorini is famous for its beaches. Red, White and Black are common names for the various beaches all over the island. The dramatic cliffs protruding into the green sea are certainly tourist pullers. There are also quite a few ancient ruins worth seeing. Another appeal of the place is the construction of the quaint little villages with their tiny, colourful houses which are worth noting.
If you want to explore a rather lesser known side to Greece, Santorini is a wonderful portal for it. This lovely island and its surrounding areas are sure to be the ideal idyllic beach holiday!
Essential travel information and Santorini tips for your visit
- Santorini Time Zone: EEST (Eastern Europe Summer Time), GMT++03:00 hours
- Currency: Currency used in Santorini is Euro.
- Electricity: In Greece the power sockets used are of type F. For power sockets of type F you need a power plug adaptor. Voltage: 230 V, Frequency: 50 Hz
- Internet: 3G and 4G Wi-Fi connections are available in almost all the hotels in the city.
- Languages: Language spoken in Santorini is Greek.
- Security: Police: (+30) 2286 022649, District First Aid Station: (+30) 2286 081222, Greek National Tourist Organization Office: (+30) 2286 027199
- Tipping: Tipping is generally expected for the services rendered.
- Be aware of rental scams, especially with agencies working only with motorbikes and ATVs. Using these types of vehicles is very common on Santorini and there are a lot of rental agencies. Some of them are ready to cheat. They will offer faulty motorbikes or ATVs for a lower price, but in case of accident they will demand that the customer pay for the whole cost of damage.
- While this is obvious, remember not to shop at stores or order at restaurants without posted prices.
Santorini Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Santorini. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Santorini trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Santorini
Sailing Catamaran Cruise in Santorini with BBQ, Drinks and Transfer
5 Hrs359 Reviews
Santorini Luxury Caldera Cruise with Full Greek Meal and Sunset
5 Hrs1376 Reviews
Sunset Sailing Catamaran Cruise in Santorini with BBQ and Drinks
5 Hrs822 Reviews
Santorini Sunset Dinner Cruise Including Nea Kameni Visit
8 Hrs114 Reviews
Best of Santorini Highlights Private 5 Hours Tour
5 Hrs54 Reviews
Romantic Sunset Catamaran Caldera Cruise incl. Meal & Drinks
5 Hrs259 Reviews