How to Reach Sapporo-shi
HOW TO GET TO SAPPORO-SHI
- By Air: The New Chitose Airport is located around 48 kilometers from Sapporo city offers direct flights to the city from Taiwan, Korea, Malaysia, Guam, China, Hong Kong and Honolulu among others. The air way from Tokyo is the most traveled line.Okadama Airport is only 8 kilometers away from the city and connect Sapporo to other local cities in Hokkaido.
- By Bus: There are many number of buses which connect Sapporo to other important cities in Hokkaido. The main bus stand of the city is near the subway Nanboku.
- By Ferry: There are ferry services to the Otaru and Tomakumai from where you can take a bus to reach Sapporo.
- By Train: Train journeys from outside Hakaido to reach Sapporo are not preferred for they are rather costly and time-consuming. However, trains are preferred to travel from and to other cities in Hokkaido like Hakodate, Otaru and Asahikawa.
There are three main Train Station including:
- JR Sapporo Station: Offers train service from Honshu to Hokkaido via the Seikan Tunnel (the world’s longest undersea tunnel!).
- Cassiopeia: Offers train from Tokyo to Sapporo with journey time of approximately 17 hours.
- Twilight Express: Which connects Osaka and Kyoto to Sapporo and is the longest overnight service train in Japan.
HOW TO GET AROUND SAPPORO-SHI
- By Subway: The Subway is the most preferred way to get around Sapporo and the three main lines all meet at Odori Station. The Namboku Line runs North-South, Tozai Line runs east-west and the Toho line runs along a C shaped pathway from northeast to south-east. If you are staying for a few days, do prefer the subway pass instead of paying for single trips.
- By Bus: Buses are a good way to get around the city and the bus network is pretty efficient. The buses are named for ease.
- By Train: The JR trains are a good way to explore the Sapporo outskirts and to reach the airport.
- By Streetcar: To the South of Sapporo, many streets don’t have ease of access. For travel to such places, the streetcar is preferred.
- By Renting Bicycle: You can rent a bicycle to explore the city to its fullest. The whole city is coverable by bicycle. Do know that you have to show your passport if you are not a citizen. Either ways a document of identification is needed.
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Sapporo-shi. The most preferred mode of transport in Sapporo-shi is Bike.
Average distance: 13 km Average time: 51 min
Bike 100%Bike 50 min Walking 1 min Overall average time for 13 kms 51 min