The city is at once representative of all that was good about Sarajevo, and all that was tragic about it. It one of Europe’s most culturally diverse cities; embracing Orthodoxy, Catholicsm, Judaism and Islam; showcasing a spirit that’s at once Asian and European. The Ottoman Empire brought it to greatness and has left a massive heritage, and the following Austro-Hungarian Empire was not too far behind. The city has always been politically important too, but it will always be remembered as the place where the First World War officially kicked off. It thrived industrially under Yugoslav rule for a while, but the Bosnian Civil War in the 90s wrought incredible destruction on it. Despite the unrest and resilient as ever, the city continues to develop at a frantic pace.
Essential travel information and Sarajevo tips for your visit
- Register with the police immediately on arrival if not staying at a hotel. Failure to do so can lead to a fine or expulsion.
- Always keep your ticket in hand when availing public transport. Never be caught without one.
- Always keep your papers about you.
- Be familiar with the appearance of the hotel you want to go to; drivers will try and scam you by taking you to more expensive places.
- Ask your hotel before hand how much a taxi to the hotel from the airport/train station costs before you commit to payment. If they try charging more at the destination, pretending to know less English, get the hotel staff to translate or handle the situation on you behalf.
- Never ever go into damaged buildings.
- There are mines in the suburbs surrounding Sarajevo. They are marked so stay clear.
- Do not get into heavy political discussion with anybody; be agreeable is someone brings it up.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Sarajevo
Save 7%Lukomir Highland Village Tour and Hike from Sarajevo
9 Hrs7 Reviews
Save 8%Sarajevo's Story and Traditional Food Walking Tour
3 Hrs2 Reviews
Save 7%Sutjeska National Park Hike Tour from Sarajevo
1 Day1 Reviews
Save 5%Sarajevo Tunnel of Hope Museum TourNew on TripHobo
Fall of Yugoslavia, Sarajevo War Tour
4 Hrs3 Reviews
Save 5%Private Sarajevo Walking tour
2 Hrs3 Reviews