Gazi Husrev Beg MosqueCurrently Closed
- Address: Saraci 8, Sarajevo 71000, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bosnia & Herzegovina
- Timings: 09:00 am - 06:15 pm Details
- Phone: +387-33532144
- Ticket Price: 2 BAM
- Time Required: 00:45 Mins
- Tags: Mosque, Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
This is straight up the most important mosque in the country. Its Ottoman architectural style was very daring when first built and is even now considered one of the finest in the world. Things to note include:
- Multiple domes
- Glass and rock ornamentation
- The twice restored arabesque.
- Stalactite ornamentation under the dome.
- Polychromatic decoration and a use of natural light to create a greater sense of space.
Most of the intricacy of the interior has been lost unfortunately; during the Siege of Sarajevo, the Serbian forces deliberately damaged much of the city’s heritage.
- Closed on Ramadan.
- Men can keep their shoed on, but women must cover their hair with a scarf or shawl.
- The window for visitation is very narrow.
- Dulagin Dvor
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Sarajevo before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sarajevo and book an accommodation of your choice.
58.4% of people who visit Sarajevo include Gazi Husrev Beg Mosque in their plan
89.19% of people start their Gazi Husrev Beg Mosque visit around 09 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Gazi Husrev Beg Mosque
54.55% of people prefer walking in order to reach Gazi Husrev Beg Mosque
Very pleasant, historic mosque complex. The mosque itself can be visited. The interior is bright and airy and elaborately decorated. The complex also has a small cemetery, historic ablution fountain and 2 mausoleums. The first and still free public toilet is just outside the complex. As of this writing, the entry fee is 3KM or 5KM for a combo ticket (mosque + school or library) If this review was helpful, please click Like!
One of the most recognizable landmarks of Sarajevo. Visitors shold not miss the chance to visit the interior of the mosque, regardless of their own beliefs... it is a witness of centuries long history, place of peace and calmness, take a look at the ceiling, a masterpiece!
Beautiful and modest mosque that has been built by the benefactor of Sarajevo, Gazi Hüsrev Bey. It is very moving to see what a great man can achieve, and how long such good deeds survive.
Beautiful mosque in the heart of the Sarajevo. Always open for praying which is really great and useful.
Central and historic mosque of Islamic Community of Bosnia and Herzegovina