North Bay Railway, Scarborough
About North Bay Railway, Scarborough
North Bay Railway, Scarborough - Address, Phone Number
Address: Burniston Road, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:30 am - 04:30 pm Details
Added 1.1K times in trip plans
Entertainment, Family And Kids, Train Ride
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Don’t you dare miss the North Bay Railway! It’s nothing less than a freaking trip through time.and be transported into time by its vintage miniature train experience, and picturesque railroads overlooking the spectacular Scarborough seaside.
Built in 1931, the 20 inches gauge North Bay Railway is one of the oldest miniature coastal railways in the country. It made its first journey from Peasholm Station to Scalby Mills driven by the Mayor of Scarborough. Since the railroad was part of the Coastal Defence Area, it had to be shut down on 1940 during WWII and it remained closed till 1945. During this time, the railroad tunnels were used only to house storage boxes for the musical instruments belonging to the Royal Naval School of Music.
Covering a distance of about a mile, the train ride offers a connection between the gorgeously green Peasholm Park on one end and the Sea Life Centre on the other. Riding on the tiny moss coloured choo choo trains with whistles and tunnels will not just put a smile on your kids’ faces but also give YOU the chance to be a child once again.
The friendly driver and guards are an enthusiastic lot who are more than willing to answer your questions during the ride. The trains offers indoor and outdoor seating.
The North Bay Railway has a range of fun activities for visitors around the year:
- Train driver for a day – Drive one of the historic locomotives with only your friends and family on the train from Peasholm Park Station to Scalby Mills and back. You may also charter the train exclusively for your group (and not drive it), which is just as fun (Ticket £ 80-100, refer website for details)
- Water Chute: It has been renovated and put in operation by the North Bay Railway Company. They claim that the chute is one of only three left in the country. (Open 11:00am -04:00pm; Ticket £ 2.20 for 2 rides per person).
- Boating Lake: See the Scarborough Open Air Theatre as you pedal along the lake at Northstead Manor Gardens. (Open 11:00am-04:00pm; Ticket £ 3.50 per boat)
- Water Walkers: Who doesn’t think of walking on water? Take the opportunity to get into these air sealed hamster balls and try. (Ages 5+, Open on weekends 11:00am-05:00pm, Tickets £ 4.40 per person).
- Santa Specials: Be part of the festivities at North Bay Railway where adults and kids are taken on a journey to find Santa and later visit him. The entire experience is warm and merry with gifts for children and refreshments for the adults. (Ticket details available on website).
North Bay Railway Information
- Disabled and wheelchair friendly trains.
- Payments in Cash only.
- Pets allowed on train.
- Car parking charge of £ 3.0 is separate.
- The Sea Life Centre is the sole attraction at Scalby Mills. You may not find much else to see or do at this spot.
- Service may be curtailed due to bad weather or trains may be added or removed without prior notice. A good idea would be to call and confirm operation before you visit.
- Gift shop and cafe available at the stations.
- Carry a light jacket.
- If you can manage to visit in the morning at around 1000-1100, you will find the place to be far more serene and uncrowded. Long queues can be avoided during this time.
- The trip lasts 15 minutes one way which might seem short for the price you pay. Some people would prefer walking the stretch. You could take the train one way and walk back through the promenade enjoying the beach.
North Bay Railway Ticket Prices
- North Bay Railway General Admission for Adult £ 2.70, Child £ 2.10
- Children under 3 years of age travel free.
- North Bay Railway also has seasonal and group travel offers on tickets.
- Try to book tickets online to get your hands on vouchers to save money.
- Adult return tickets £ 3.30, child return ticket £ 2.60.
North Bay Railway Opening and Closing Hours
- Trains run every day but service timings vary: 10:00am (June, July, August), 10:30am (April, May, September), 11:00am (February, March, October, November, December).
- Frequency: At Peasholm Park, trains leave on the hour and every half hour. At Scalby Mills, the train leaves every hour at 15 past and 45 past until 1230.
- Post 12:30, trains leave every 15 minutes from both Peasholm Park and Scalby Mills.
- Last train: leaves from Peasholm Station at 04:30pm.
- During peak seasons such as school holidays and some weekends, North Bay Railway runs two train services.
How To reach North Bay Railway by Public Transport
- By bus: You may take the Yorkshire Coastliner service 843 that runs a pick and drop at Peasholm Park just 200 metre from Peasholm Park Station.
- Yorkshire Coastliner 843 stopPeasholm Park Station.
- Open top bus from Scarborough South Bay to Peasholm Gap
Restaurants Near North Bay Railway
- Boatman’s Tavern
- Glass House Cafe
- The Scampi Shack
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Scarborough before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Scarborough and book an accommodation of your choice.
North Bay Railway, Scarborough Reviews - Write a Review
Great little train, handy to get to and from the sealife centre. Great watching the engine turnaround on the turn table and staff friendly. The ride itself is short enough to keep our toddler amused but long enough that you get to see a bit of the coastline. Bonus that there were a few open carriages for buggies so we didn't have to collapse ours.
Great little train for kids aged 2 to say 12 and very resonably priced. Track and engines restored by volunteers and is a real credit to them. You can get a return or walk back along sea front. Kids buggies and disabled access and use no problems. Would recommend.
An old favourite. The engines are amazing. Great fun. Will definately use again. Highly recommend.
Lovely people, obviously do it because they love it. Really good value train ride perfect for little nippers
love it it's been going since I was a young boy and now I'm taking my children there