Rotunda MuseumCurrently Open
- Address: 2 Park Lodge | Vernon Road, Scarborough, England, United Kingdom
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +440-1723384511
- Ticket Price: 3 GBP
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Natural History Museums
If dinosaurs and geological history is your thing, you will find the Rotunda Museum to be quite a treasure trove of a place. Built in 1829, the Rotunda is the oldest purpose built museum, that is to say it was designed specifically to be a museum.
A basic guided tour, free of charge, will introduce you to the museum and put things in context. This is a relatively small museum that houses over 5500 fossils and 3000 minerals.
The two biggest crowd pullers at this museum happen to be the Jurassic exhibition and the Gristhorpe Man. Rotunda has managed to recreate what the Scarborough region must have been like when dinosaurs walked the earth. They have put together fascinating interactive displays, skeletons and fossilized footprints in this Jurassic geology display.
The museum has also preserved the remains of a man ‘Gristhorpe Man’ who is believed to have been an ancient British Chief around 500 B.C. His remains were found in an oak tree burial trunk along with other burial items.
The origin of the building itself has an interesting history behind it. The museum has a great bookshop with books on geology that will interest all ages. Sometimes the museum also puts up craft activities for the children.
Rotunda Museum Travel Tips
- The Rotunda museum is a disabled friendly place. The entire area is fully wheelchair accessible.
Entrance Ticket Details For Rotunda Museum
- Entry is free for visitors under 18 years of age.
- Concessions on group visits are available.
- On certain heritage days, entry is free for all.
- Ticket price includes entry into the Art Gallery and Rotunda. The same can be used for both for the next year.
How to Reach Rotunda Museum
- Bus: Aquarium Top stop Y- 64, 165. Somerset Terrace Stop W – 10. Grand Hotel (N-bound).
- Brasserie Marmalade’s
- Hong Kong Restaurant
- Mother Hubbard
- Il Piatto
- Brewers Fayre
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Scarborough before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Scarborough and book an accommodation of your choice.
20.81% of people who visit Scarborough include Rotunda Museum in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
51.43% of people start their Rotunda Museum visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Rotunda Museum
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Rotunda Museum